Finally, JDs have laid Eggs again!

Dragonis95

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2017
wow, nice ones!

Is it me, or are their markings somehow less black and thinner? Looks very nice.
I had some lighter coloured ones (almost silver body) in a batch I sold last year. My male is more grey/reddish while female is tan coloured, might be that factor...

Good luck with your EBJDs, they seem to be quite a challenge to raise. My only try at one young EBJD ended deadly after one week.

And to add my feeding: I feed Sera O-Nip once every day, besides that the youngsters are fed by rests of the food of their parents (Söll organix and gammarus).
In the tank are some bacteria, algae and fungus populations that get nipped every now and then, so the babys can feed on what they like in the moment.

AKBlueJacks

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2018
USA
They do look a bit different than the regular Jack Dempseys at this point. By three weeks I am able to tell the EBJDs from the regular ones. It is quite a task to sort through about 400 fry to Pull out about 100 that are a little different. Most days these guys get baby brine shrimp three times a day.

Dragonis95

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2017
hey ho,

since I will most likely be disqualified in the POTM contest because I hoped someone likes my picture, oh my god how bad (rolling eyes)...
I do my own permanent contest here and now.
Here are no rules, no needs, no other contestants. Who needs POTM if you can post your most beautiful pictures in a thread like this one ;-)
Just my own pictures of my own fish.

I have another one very sweet for you.
Take this, POTM!!! HA!!!

DSC01428.JPG

Dragonis95

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2017
The little ones are doing fine.
Now I started feeding crushed cichlid pellets to the babies.
They seem to like the food the parents get, so I want to adapt them to this food.
I hope they keep developing that way.DSC02250.JPG

Dragonis95

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2017
hello again,

today I did a bigger water change, because the tank gets pretty dirty when feeding that much.
But: The little ones are still fine, they start getting the eye markings on the sides. If you look closely, you can see it on some of them. That tiny little glimmer inside the first stripe...
or maybe am I crazy?
As in every post, some pictures (aren´t that cuties*.*):DSC02724.JPG

DSC02552.JPG DSC02532.JPG DSC02529.JPG DSC02665.JPG DSC02654.JPG

Dragonis95

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2017
those tiny little fish eat the whole day, no matter what I do. Everything gets eaten.
They don´t decrease much in number, so I still have very very many of them... 80? 100? Who knows... But the stronger ones are already bigger than some others, so I guess it will regulate itself by time.
Again, a nice macro shot of them nipping at something.
DSC03033.JPG

Last edited:

Dragonis95

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2017
Isn´t that sweet?
Mother and child?
Father and child?
The one big and strong, the other one tiny and fragile...

Today the little ones had some JBL NobillFluid Artemia. Sera O- Nip is about to be empty...
they are about 1cm long at the moment, some a little more, some a little less. A part of them is clearly smaller, while some rule the group and show a bigger size. Should I select them at this point?

Sorry for the reflections in the last picture, the sun decided to shine today...

DSC03285.JPG DSC03393.JPG DSC03418.JPG

Dragonis95

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2017
a few days passed, and...
still so many!!! still so cute!!! still eating like hell!!!
So here are some pics of those cuties again!

Brut am 21.06.18 (4).JPG
Group swimming at the wood...
Brut am 21.06.18 (5).JPG
on the right fish you see the tiny light blue markings starting to come through at the gill plate
Brut am 21.06.18 (2).JPG
and even the scales are already visible, so cute!
The dark line at the top of the dorsal fin will turn red later, when the baby fish become coloured like the adults.

Last edited:

Dragonis95

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2017
new things happening!

She seems to be preparing for another spawn, while the fry is now exactly four weeks old.
The behaviour she showed today was completely new to me, so took pictures for you.

First she swims towards the male, brightly coloured.
DSC05313.JPG
Then, she turns around...
DSC05314.JPG
DSC05319.JPG
...nips him in the side to get his attention, he colours up to show he sees her...
DSC05329.JPG
...then she waits for his response, but he seems slightly annoyed...
DSC05326.JPG
... she gets nothing but ignorance and turns away, he turns his colour back to normal...
DSC05340.JPG

Have you ever seen such a special behaviour?
Is that spawning behaviour? Just flirting? Provoking an interaction?
Because I have never seen these two behaving that way.
It is fascinating to see how diverse these fish are able to communicate and behave.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store