Finally, JDs have laid Eggs again!

Dragonis95

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2017
hi,

double spot?
You mean like two spots each scale?
No, mine never had this, but I do not own any blue gene/electric blue JDs...
Sounds very interesting, do you have pics of that?

d033ie

Banned
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2010
Delaware
By the way where did you get you breeder male from? He is beautiful and i love the red in him.
Sorry for the double post.

Dragonis95

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2017
Hey,

Your JDs are really stunning! Great colour development!
I have never seen a double eye spot on these fish, seems to be rare but looks very nice.
My male is from a local pet store, I bought him last year and he grew pretty good. He becomes more gorgeus the bigger he gets.

d033ie

Banned
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2010
Delaware
Thank you and i'll update when i get a chance too. So you can see the fry from the EB male and B/G gene female. I separated the Electrics and Platinums from the wild color and golds. I need to get a close up of my female EB, she's amazing. For a store bought dempsey you did really well with him and for regulars to through fry that colorful is really good. Nice pair you have.

Dragonis95

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2017
Wow,

You breed platinums and golds?!?
I envy you... here in germany we don't have that much varietys of JD. In store the most of them are coloured poorly, I always pick the best coloured and strongest built ones. Thats how I found my male...
I LOVE platinum jacks. They look so stunning.
What do you feed them if I may ask?
I feed mealworms, gammarus, tubifex and söll cichlid pellets. And snails from the shrimp tank. Somehow gammarus are not such a runner for them...
Picky little guys.
And do you have problems with cyano bacteria?
My tank has always some spots full of it. I don't know how to fight it...

d033ie

Banned
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2010
Delaware
Selective breeding is a really good thing. I tend to look for fry that have very defined markings and color. I feed my fish Earth worms, bug bites, krill, brine frozen or dried, hikari pellets. Too many too list. Bloods are a great treat though. It's funny you mention snails, because i breed small ones in the fry growout tanks and they love the newly hatched snails. As far as the cyano bacteria never had it. I usually get algae in my 40 gallon breeder canister rather then the tank which is strange. The 65 gallon breeder gets close to none at all. You should remove as much as you can from the tank. Then do large water changes like every three days. Reducing the light as to how long you keep it on . If the tank is near a window or sliding door, keep the curtains close during the day time. Natural sunlight will cause algae to storm through a tank. What you have is a algae and bacteria combo. I would try that out for at least two to three weeks and see what happens. Please check the nitrates and ammonia levels! Don't allow waste to build as the bacteria feeds off of it and will spread.

79946930-8471-48C0-967A-3C7A7FE0DC65.jpeg

Dragonis95

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2017
Thank you!

Yes the windows are propably the cause of my algae... and much freeze dried foods.
I will try to reduce the waste.
I did a 70 percent water change friday, so I will do a 40 to 50 percent change wednesday I think.
I hope it gets better soon...

Reactions: Jexnell

d033ie

Banned
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2010
Delaware
Glad to hear you're making good progress, handling the conditions of the tank. Boiled lettuce might slow the pleco down a bit. Depending on the size of it. Large one's are pretty Tanky and Persistent. Hope the best for the fry and keep up the good work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store