Finally wild caught cichlids in Panama

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I honestly don't want to sound like a pompous dbag, but..... do you see any issues with the morality of taking wild bred fish and moving them into a comparatively microscopic tank? Yeah, it's a cool story to catch it, but you could purchase whatever you want bred in captivity.
I do see the 180 as a small tank, and very microscopic compared to reality, this is why you see in many of my posts, me ragging about putting oscars, Parachromis and other similar sized cichlids in inadequate sized tanks.
Whether wild or not, the issue for me is always proper size accommodations.
These Andinoacara top out at 5"-6" (maybe less), so I consider a 180 close to fair lodging, and also why, if I'm offered Parachromis loisellii or Vieja maculicauda, I won't take them, because I consider in the end, as adults the tank would be too small that size fish.
This is also why, for my first 3 years in Panama, I didn't have a tank, getting one a proper size for cichlids, was difficult to find, and until I found this one, too expensive for me.
After 3 years fishes, a new (used) 180.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Or.....beyond tank size, are there the moral ethics in the removing wild fish from the wild?
Yes and no, these are some of the most common cichlids in Panama, so my dent is pretty minor compared to say what a bird might take in a day.
fullsizeoutput_2af.jpeg
My hope is, that if they spawn for me, and the tank remains disease free, I may take a bucket full of juvies back to San Martin.
The most flagrant damage I see here, are the from commercial ocean fishing fleets, that haul up entire schools, and all that goes with them. 10 years ago, there were sharks in the waters off Taboga, no one has seen one in the last 7, and the size of fish in a normal catch (such as Chilean sea bass, and red snapper) have been declining steadily.
I only buy from the cool/line guys.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Congrats on finally getting some fish.

Pretty cool that julio though to get you some river water. Was there a reason other than testing the water ? I guess he was aware of this.

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
In my above post, it should read "Hook/ line guys" not cool/line.
The extra river water was to make changes along the way if needed, schedules here often vary according to weather conditions, or maintenance issues. What might be a 1 hour trip one day, could easily turn into a 3 or 4 hourfullsizeoutput_d1a.jpeg one another day, where water changes every hour or so could keep fish alive.
And as opposed to what might be needed in the states, here, keeping fish cool is more important than the other way around.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Did you give them instructions to collect the water or is it a common practice?

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
I didn't give instructions, just turns out Jose the guy who collected the fish seemed to know what to do.
I had left a bunch of plastic jugs in the truck with my normal cab driver Julio.
Jose had the battery operated air pump cranked, and it was somehow running off his truck battery, and he bucket lid had air holes he had cut in it.
Next time he brings fish, I will ask how he knew what to do.
I must admit that I was a bit surprised at the time, just by the fact showed up out of the blue, with fish (and cichlids yet too) in and of itself.
fullsizeoutput_d74.jpeg

DarylMac

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
The tank is open top during the day to take advantage of sun, no artificial light yet.
But covered at night to prevent toxic frogs from spawning in it, bats from drinking and then dropping turds in it, and snakes from hunting it it.
Say what now??? I sure hope that means the tank is kept outside!

Congrats Duanes! I had never heard of that species before, but could tell straight away it was andinoacara.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Yes the tank is on my patio, mostly in the shade, but gets early morning, and late afternoon partial sun.
fullsizeoutput_bd8.jpeg
About half the plants I collected in lake Gatun did well, although not enough sun for Water hyacinth, and another floater. I moved the last hyacinth to the sump which is in partial sun, and even that seems wimpy.
The Hydrilla, Hydrocotyl, and Ipomoea are doing best, some emerging.
fullsizeoutput_cd8.jpeg
IMG_2787.JPG
fullsizeoutput_be7.jpeg
The Ipomea (above) seems to grow inches per day.
fullsizeoutput_d85.jpeg
IMG_3769.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store