Finally wild caught cichlids in Panama

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I always expect any wild fish to arrive with some type of parasites, and have not been proven wrong.
fullsizeoutput_dc9.jpeg fullsizeoutput_dc6.jpeg
One of the Andinoacara seems to have a touch of Lymphocystis (or something similar), and a Roeboides tetra and another Andinoacara a touch of ich.
fullsizeoutput_dbb.jpeg
The Lymph is viral, so no effective treatment.
To treat the tank for ich, (there are no LFSs on the island, or even stores that sell enough salt in the kind of bulk needed for 180+ gallons). Everything expect ocean fish or fruit like papayas, or star fruit requires a ferry to the mainland.
To treat for ick, I calculate the tank needs almost 6 lbs of salt, but..
since the sea is less than 50 yards away, between 2 and 3 gallons of 35 ppt sea water to get a target salinity of 3.5ppt.
Im hoping the salinity won't destroy the plants, and the shrimp, but sometimes sacrificing 1 to save many (in the parlance of our time)......
fullsizeoutput_db8.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_db0.jpeg

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Now that they are settling in, I have been quite surprised by the shoaling, social behavior. Aggression seems to be minimal, and they move around the tank as a loose shoal much of the time.
Will be interesting to see if they maintain the behavior beyond the safety in numbers stage.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Good thread.
I always expect any wild fish to arrive with some type of parasites, and have not been proven wrong.

One of the Andinoacara seems to have a touch of Lymphocystis (or something similar), and a Roeboides tetra and another Andinoacara a touch of ich.
Ich seems to be almost everywhere in the wild. During a 10 day power outage several years ago (following which I bought a generator) I did constant water changes hauling local (mountain) river water. I'm in the mid Atlantic, US. Ended up with ich after some 25+ years without a single case-- including after winter power outages, one of which brought my tanks down into the 60s and stressed some of my fish, temporary cloudy eyes on a couple of them but no ich. The ich obviously came from the river water.

Reactions: tlindsey

DarylMac

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
Any updates? I hope it worked. Do you have a heater you can throw in there to raise the temps and speed up the ich's life cycle?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store