Fire eel safety?

Zkris28

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2019
Ohio
Nothing to worry about. They cannot harm you.

Lol, my wife had to pick one of my 24” fire eels off the floor and put it back in my tank when it jumped out. I was a half hour away from home when it happened. She was not happy.
My girlfriend would have a panic attack if she had to do that! Lol

Thank you all for the information, I've learned alot here today! =D

Zkris28

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2019
Ohio
Ah yes, here was one of the articles I had read this about the eel incase anyone was curious. Not really sure how reliable meetthepet is however lol

Screenshot_20190227-211301.png

I've noticed their english isn't so great (as can be figured from their name "methepet" lol). Most likely they're some kind of asian fish breeder. However many times this can be extremely unreliable as especially south asia is an aquarium fish's worst nightmare. All kinds of misconceptions, people keeping aros in 10 gallons, etc. I wouldn't rely on it. Generally I don't take advice from people who I don't know know their stuff. Anyway @OP you're good.

Reactions: F3l1ss and Zkris28

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Fire eels can survive out of a tank for a little bit, but definitely wouldnt say they can breath air like a labryinth fish...

I would suspect maybe 30min to an hour they maybe still okay (if they managed to get out of the tank somehow), but anything more than that i would suspect is really pushing it...

Although i have heard stories of people finding their eels (supposedly) a few hours later and managed to save them so to speak... but i wasnt there when it happened and cannot confirm the eel was actually out of the tank for as long as was stated...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store