fish house build

rich81090

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2011
uk
Hi everyone, i know this is not specific to Rays but i know a few of you here asked me how i built the fish house so i put this together to try and give you an idea of how i did it.

after all its the Rays that started all to fhis :)

thanks,

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
Very good mate, that's a serious set up! Done really smart and professionally.

If I can ask how much did this build ran you?

I'm looking at an upgrade from my 8x3 and considering whether something like this is more worthwhile than a pond with a window lol

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
One question, did you waterproof the underside of the main tank to stop the wood rotting from the condensation from the sump tanks? Or did you use lids on them at all?

Lukemitchell

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2017
Tamworth
Love it, very interesting deffinetley gave me some ideas. I need to see more of the fish house and the pond.
Whats the filter setup in the fish house and on the pond ?
Also you said there is a few things you would change, what would that be ?
Would you be able to do a video that goes into detail on the fish house and pond ?

Thanks

rich81090

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2011
uk
Very good mate, that's a serious set up! Done really smart and professionally.

If I can ask how much did this build ran you?

I'm looking at an upgrade from my 8x3 and considering whether something like this is more worthwhile than a pond with a window lol
That depends a lot of where you put it, if its in your house its far easier,
my garage had no drains, no water and no electric, It also needed fully insulating and boarding. So some of the largest bills were for simply getting it ready before I had even started building the tanks. Also I wouldn't go so overkill on the heating system, its turned off 90% of the time, the room generates enough heat from the pumps to maintain the temp at 30 all year round, I attribute that down to the insulation.

the biggest bill is glass, because of the dimensions it was 19mm and £500 a piece I believe fitted (I didn't have the suction tools to fit glass that size), I cant stress enough that this varies greatly, I fitting the pond window 6 months later which is only a third of the size at 19mm and that cost the same price! you can also save money by altering your dimensions, if I reduced the height slightly I could have had thinner glass and saved considerably, I was big headed though and wanted the biggest I could possibly fit even if it meant saving for longer.

the filbre glass is probably second most expensive but again its the best I have seen and required no sanding afterward, which is something I know other people with ponds have had to do before filling.

rich81090

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2011
uk
One question, did you waterproof the underside of the main tank to stop the wood rotting from the condensation from the sump tanks? Or did you use lids on them at all?
I fitted the foam board to the underside and sealed it.

rich81090

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2011
uk
Love it, very interesting deffinetley gave me some ideas. I need to see more of the fish house and the pond.
Whats the filter setup in the fish house and on the pond ?
Also you said there is a few things you would change, what would that be ?
Would you be able to do a video that goes into detail on the fish house and pond ?

Thanks
Hopefully I will cover everything you want in future videos, everyone's questions is what I am basing the videos on. did you check the previous video where I went around all of the tanks showing the stock?

one thing I would change is that the drain to the sump is 3 inch, I wish I did it 4 inch so I could increase the flow rate with a bigger pump.

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
Hopefully I will cover everything you want in future videos, everyone's questions is what I am basing the videos on. did you check the previous video where I went around all of the tanks showing the stock?

one thing I would change is that the drain to the sump is 3 inch, I wish I did it 4 inch so I could increase the flow rate with a bigger pump.
What sized pumps are you using that you need a 4" drain?! Haha

Lukemitchell

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2017
Tamworth

Ok when will the next video be out as it’s really something I’m looking into ?
Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store