Fish that can eat fish as big as themselves??

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
The pike (Esox Lucius). These things will eat anything that can fit in their mouths. Unfortunately it seldom ends well for the greedy pike, as a lot of them choke to death!

Incidently, it would be very easy to "stage" a photo like this, but for anyone who is familiar with the species, they will know all too well about their voracious appetites.

_65204581_photo-(5).jpg

Last edited:

Matth05

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2022
New Jersey
A fish that instantly came to mind is a largemouth. Just like esoxlucius said with pike, it’s pretty common for bass to end up dying trying to eat bluegill or crappie that are almost as big as they are.
2A1DF72A-4268-4022-993B-90E207F92340.jpeg
I’ve caught bass less than half the size of lure I was using. Sometimes it makes you wonder, “what in the world was this fish thinking?”

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The secret weapon of gulper is its latex stomach that can fit a fish multiple times the gulper size. IDK of any other in f/w. There is a deep water marine gulper too.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
what in the world was this fish thinking?”
That's just it, they don't think. Predator fish are hard wired to the tune of millions of years. They probably can't help themselves when the chance of a meal comes along. They just go for it, and, if it's even possible, think about it after as they're choking to death and it's too late!! Lol.

Many years ago during a fishing trip I was in the shallows returning a decent sized bream to the water. In the blink of an eye a small jack pike, around 14" long launched itself at the bream, which I still had hold of, it missed, and took three fingers of my right hand in its mouth instead!!

It wouldn't let go and made a mess of two of my fingers. That fish didn't die due to choking....it died due to me giving it a right wallop....and tasted wonderful when I ate it later.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
esoxlucius esoxlucius I was wondering about the choice of your screen name. This must be it.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
esoxlucius esoxlucius I was wondering about the choice of your screen name. This must be it.
Esoxlucius was never my first choice for my username. My favourite fish is the European Perch, but "Perca Fluviatilis" doesn't have the same ring to it that Esoxlucius does.

Besides, in general pike aren't that bad I suppose, it's just these young upstart jack pike that can be a bit annoying at times, especially when they try to eat you, lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store