Fish you would love to keep but can't.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
South Americans are really cool and also more group friendly apparently. Complete FW and colourful. I have heard that their teeth are harder to maintain than most other puffers

I like those but I thought they needed full marine conditions eventually. Are they happy in brackish water all their lives?
I have heard so

I've also love to keep a jardini. Absolutely stunning fish.
I would also like a Jar, although Sceleroplages and Inscriptus comes first if I can afford them

Athletic_Amph

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2016
Branford, CT
as far as cichlids go, I would love to keep a large group of Acarichthys Heckelii in a biotope - as they are my absolute favorite SA - but I have no room for the appropriate tank size they would need
-same goes for an Umbee pair...

Non-cichlids would be Rays. I don't know enough about any specific species to narrow it down at all, but I love them as a whole and cannot wait to have the space to dedicate a large/wide tank to a few of them

Beetlebug515

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2015
For me, it's satanoperca daemon. I couldn't handle a soft water tank big enough for them. The panda tank is more than enough at the moment. Past that, heckel discus, rays (illegal in stupid california), and a school of cichla piquiti.

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
What's the big craze about Puffers? Don't they just sit there and do nothing? Or is it quite the opposite?
as a few others have said, it depends on the species. Some are ambush hunters like the Arrowhead and Congo puffers, whereas others are far more active like MBU, South American, and I think Fahaka's as well. Puffers, plecos and bichirs are my favorite types of fish outside of cichlids. :D One day I will have a fahaka and hopefully an MBU also (obviously not in the same tank).

As for dream fish...too many to list but one I haven't seen mentioned yet is Herichthys steindachneri. My reasoning is pretty much only that it's the largest species of Herichthys. I'd also like to have tanks for each Thorichthys species as well as festae again...pure citrinellum, labiatus, amarillo, chancho, flaveolus...let's see, oh a tank for each vieja/paratheraps/maskaheros/whateverothergenusnametheyhavenow

That should be a good start :D

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
Any fish you really like but for whatever reason can't keep?
Mine is uaru. I would love a nice group of these but my water is just too hard.
If you are meaning uaru f. then ya, but I kept and bred uaru a. in water that comes out at 7.4. I would definitely keep them again and some rays if I had the space

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store