Florida Gar & Salt?

Jush

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2019
North West UK
www.instagram.com
Hey,

I've been attempting to grow baby Florida Gars from about August 2019. I purchased 3 back then, and quickly found it wasn't an easy task. I lost 1, sold 1 to a friend who wanted (that died) and had the final 1 until today... (that died overnight.)

I also purchase 5 & then 22 babies earlier in 2020, but today alone I've randomly lost 5.

I've dealt with broken backs, bent spines, etc which are all the normal headaches of baby gar growing, however since adding salt yesterday night to treat what looked like a damaged tail & little scale agitation. I found 2 dead this morning & 3 have died throughout the rest of the day...

Is Salt bad or damaging for baby Gars? My baby Gar range from 3-6" and its becoming frustrating, I've since learn't majority are raised in huge mud ponds however my remaining Gars were in a 4x2x2 Pond.

I noticed the snout on a couple looked like a Pelican with a mouth full of water, it was almost swollen with trapped air/ an air bubble which would deflate if netted out or when surfacing for air but quickly reinflate itself.

Any background information would help. The Parameters are;
Ph 7.4
Kh 6-8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20-30 ppm

Sadly they are failing to accept a lot of foods I'd like to give them & majority of them default to bloodworm although a few accept Prawns, Mussels & Sprats.

Any information is very appreciated, I'm in the process of doing a large water change to remove the salt as currently that's all I can think the problem is...

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
How much salt did u place in?

Reactions: tlindsey and Jush

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
forgot to include this...

I usually do 3grams per Litre (3pts) with my larger fish but I only did 1g:1L.
Doesn’t seem to be a lot. Atleast when i do the conversion. I believe the gars may have been sick prior to ur purchase. I’d keep up with the water changes. Retry feeding.

Jush

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2019
North West UK
www.instagram.com
Doesn’t seem to be a lot. Atleast when i do the conversion. I believe the gars may have been sick prior to ur purchase. I’d keep up with the water changes. Retry feeding.
I've had these Gars from the beginning of 2020, and even one from August 2019. They're not a new purchase. I've always been told to use Aquariumsalt/ Tonic salt at 3grams per Litre (3pts) but because I was unsure with how Gars will react I did 1pts (1G:1L)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store