Flowerhorn Belly bloat

Heather Horle

Feeder Fish
Mar 27, 2018
Hi I’m new to this site and I’m also a new fish owner. I don’t have much experience. My neighbor gave me his Flowerhorn. I believe she has belly bloat. She stopped eating and floats at the top of the tank. Her belly is really big. She has white stuff collecting on her butt. I started water changes yesterday. She was losing color so I added aquarium salt to help with her stress.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Lower the water level, add some Epsom salt 1 tbs per 5gallon, add kanamycin, and hold feedings.

Water gotta be low enough so it can right itself up. Can use plants or decor to help edge the fish up.

Reactions: Rocksor

Heather Horle

Feeder Fish
Mar 27, 2018
Lower the water level, add some Epsom salt 1 tbs per 5gallon, add kanamycin, and hold feedings.

Water gotta be low enough so it can right itself up. Can use plants or decor to help edge the fish up.
She’s holding herself up on her own. She wasn’t but I started doing water changes and now she is. I tested the water and the ammonia was off so I’m in the process off fixing that but her belly is still big and she’s not very active.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Plants suggested by Kno4te will (if you provide the right amount and type light) also help with the ammonia issue.
It sounds like the tank is not cycled (does not have a large enough population of beneficial bacteria) to use up ammonia, so the FH has been slowly poisoning itself, and disease is the result.
If the tank is un-cycled, you need to do daily (twice daily better) water changes to dilute the ammonia to save the fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store