Flowerhorn Feedback

absdk

Feeder Fish
Jun 11, 2019
Can u give a feedback on my flowerhorn? What grade is it and what type? How I could maintain it better and how much I should feed him. I would really appreciate if you would answer these questions because I'm a new fish hobbyist. Thanks.

IMG-20190220-WA0001.jpg

Reactions: HybridFinatic

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Grade is irrelevant and your flowerhorn is a zz of some sort. A very beautiful fh I think. You should have him alone in at least a 75 with over-filtration. I kept my previous flowerhorn’s tank at 80 degrees but anywhere around that is fine (78-82). I wouldn’t go much higher than 82 because of higher risk of bacterial disease. I would do at least 1-2 50% water changes a week (more can’t hurt). At this size your flowerhorn should be fed 1-2 times a day. Fasting days 1-2 days out of the week is very beneficial to give the flowerhorn’s digestive system a rest. As flowerhorn’s have sensitive digestive and immune systems it is best to avoid frozen, freeze dried, and live foods. Also avoid animal products such as beef heart and chicken. Flowerhorn's cannot digest them. Pellets cover all the nutritional needs for a flowerhorn. It’s best to stay away from flowerhorn branded pellets as they are usually bs and filled with wheat and other fillers and very high protein which not good for the flowerhorn’s system. They are just a marketing scam that guarantee better hump shape and crazy color but what they guarantee is based on the genetics of the individual flowerhorn. Some good pellet brands are New life spectrum, northfin, hikari (hikari bio-gold and blood parrot are the best imo as far as hikari imo), and omega one. Overfeeding is one of the leading causes of fh disease and eventual death so it’s best to avoid it. Flowerhorn's will constantly beg for food 24/7 so don’t think they are hungry and need food. Every morning your flowerhorn should have a relatively empty stomach and at the end of the 1-2 feedings the stomach should only have a small lump nothing more. Also when the flowerhorn reaches adult size. So maybe 12 months olds you should introduce a veggie based pellet into the mix of pellets such as hikari excel or NLS veggiemax. It’s good to have a variety of pellets that you transition through the week. I would feed this veggie based pellet probably 2-3 times out of the week. That’s all I can think of on the top of my head. Good luck :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jacob1320

absdk

Feeder Fish
Jun 11, 2019
Grade is irrelevant and your flowerhorn is a zz of some sort. A very beautiful fh I think. You should have him alone in at least a 75 with over-filtration. I kept my previous flowerhorn’s tank at 80 degrees but anywhere around that is fine 78-82. I wouldn’t got much higher than 82 because of higher risk of bacterial disease. I would do at least 1-2 50% water changes a week (more can’t hurt). At this size your flowerhorn should be fed 1-2 times a day. Fasting days 1-2 days out of the week is very beneficial to give the flowerhorn’s digestive system a rest. As flowerhorn’s have sensitive digestive and immune systems it is best to avoid frozen, freeze dried, and live foods. Also avoid animal products such as beef heart and chicken. Flowerhorn's cannot digest them. Pellets cover all the nutritional needs for a flowerhorn. It’s best to stay away from flowerhorn branded pellets as they are usually bs and filled with wheat and other fillers and very high protein which not good for the flowerhorn’s system. They are just a marketing scam that guarantee better hump shape and crazy color but what they guarantee is based on the genetics of the individual flowerhorn. Some good pellet brands are New life spectrum northfin, hikari (hikari bio-gold and blood parrot are the best imo as far as hikari imo). Overfeeding is one of the leading causes of fh disease and eventual death so it’s best to avoid it. Flowerhorn's will constantly beg for food 24/7 so don’t think they are hungry and need food. Every morning your flowerhorn should have a relatively empty stomach and at the end of the 1-2 feedings the stomach should only have a small lump nothing more. Also when the flowerhorn reaches adult size. So maybe 12 months olds you should introduce a veggie based pellet into the mix of pellets such as hikari excel or NLS veggiemax. It’s good to have a variety of pellets that you transition through the week. I would feed this veggie based pellet probably 2-3 times out of the week. That’s all I can think of on the top of my head. Good luck :)
Thank you so much.❤

Reactions: HybridFinatic
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store