flowerhorn gill problem please help!!!

danny dsouza

Feeder Fish
Sep 4, 2015
Mumbai
My flowerhorn fish has developed some kind of boil on its one side of the gill
I cannot understand what kind of disease it is.
He eats well, does not have any problem like white crap. But since it has developed this boil, he is really getting aggressive for no reason. It also gaps for air not too much but more then before.
I have done 100% water change 3 days back and also treated water with blue liquid and terramycin and also added epsom salt, I turned the greater on to 28 degree.
Please look the pictures I have attached and please help at the earliest, I m really tensedWP_20150904_20_22_13_Pro.jpg WP_20150904_20_13_27_Pro.jpg WP_20150830_11_01_14_Pro.jpg

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Gill curl? hard to tell from picture, there few thing can cause gill curling:
*Tank too small, lack of water flow and bad water parameter. Fish breath heavier and gassing for air more often cause the its gill not function right. Also you said you just did 100% Water change and your sponge filter look extremely clean...you're possibly killed all your BB and your tank has to do its water cycle again.

danny dsouza

Feeder Fish
Sep 4, 2015
Mumbai
Gill curl? hard to tell from picture, there few thing can cause gill curling:
*Tank too small, lack of water flow and bad water parameter. Fish breath heavier and gassing for air more often cause the its gill not function right. Also you said you just did 100% Water change and your sponge filter look extremely clean...you're possibly killed all your BB and your tank has to do its water cycle again.
The tank is as per recommended for a fh i.e. 70 gallon
Also i have a top filter installed but without charcoal/ carbon
I'll be changing 40% water tomorrow, is it recommended?

danny dsouza

Feeder Fish
Sep 4, 2015
Mumbai
Hi look at this pick again I have blurred the rest of the image and only shown the boil
WP_20150904_20_13_27_Pro (2).jpg
I.e the left side gill. Compare it to the right side and you'll see that it is swollen, and I don't think its gill curl, and if it is a curl problem then what is the next step to be taken

Reactions: Loganh11

danny dsouza

Feeder Fish
Sep 4, 2015
Mumbai
Hi Guys,
I had done some research from the net and came to know that my Flowerhorn has thyroid. It needs a supplement of Potassium Iodine. But some how I am not able to find any for fishes, all I am getting are the suppliments that we use as humans.
So my question now is that will it be safe to provide him these drugs, or can any one suggest any brand of drug which will help.
I have found link which can help with identifying the causes in your fish.
http://www.conwaytropicalfish.com/tips.htm#D

http://www.rajaquaclinic.com/fish_photo.html

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There are plenty of marine, algal based foods for salt water species will have a high iodine content.
Or if you want to make your own, algal products such a nouri and other sushi algae wrap type products are available at Asian or natural food stores that could be worked into a gelatin based DIY food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store