Foam Art Board for bottom of tank

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
I haven't noticed any issues with mine and actually forgot I even had it until this thread reminded me. My sand is deep enough that none of the stock has dug deep enough to uncover it.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Polystyrene (styrofoam) leeches chemicals at 86 F, and melts at 100-120 F, so imo, it's safe for fresh cold water and most if not all saltwater setups, but a questionable choice for many tropical systems. (That's the reason we are all advised not to heat up items in the microwave using styrofoam containers.)

Exactly which chemicals are leeched, how much and to what effect on tropical fish? I don't doubt that some people use it, perhaps with no complaints.

Could it be a trivial amount? Could it not affect fish? Absolutely. But there are still other alternatives which we know are completely inert. Large thin pieces of slate would work as well if there is a potential for something large and sharp falling against the tank bottom.
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Flooring-Tile-Natural-Stone-Tile-Slate-Tile/N-5yc1vZash2

Last edited:
Reactions: dsbaker15
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store