Freshwater vs Saltwater fish, which one do you like better?

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I would love to get back into saltwater, if only for a smallish tank. As much as I love freshwater, I can't imagine a more attractive display than a 20 or 30 gallon marine tank with lots of rock, plenty of invertebrates and with a Royal Gramma as a centerpiece, and perhaps a couple of small gobies.

But...what to do with the water? I believe in changing water a lot; just don't like the idea of dumping gallons of salt water into my backyard or pasture. Definitely not going into my sewage system either. I literally never use pesticides, herbicides, fungicides or any other "-cides" anywhere on my property, so the idea of a scorched-earth patch for marine water disposal just goes against the grain. Oh, well...saves me the money I would have spent on a marine tank, I suppose...:)
Oh...that's why I have a huge dead spot now.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
No, changing water a lot is a myth in SW, unless you do hard stuff like challenging SPS. Actually you only need to do no more than 30% water change a month, assuming you have the protein skimmer. In my case I only do 10% wc/month on my 75gal and my corals are doing fine. And I have heavy stock. In my experiece water change is just to replenish the mineral loss that's used off by corals. Nitrate and Phosphate are all dealt by the live rock and skimmer.
Yeah, I've been reading that a lot...but truth to tell I also read it a lot about freshwater whenever somebody tries one of the trendy whizbang nitrate-reducing filters and I am inherently skeptical. Even if I could become comfortable with the idea of minimal water changing...my answer to just about every problem or impending problem with fish tanks, as well as my favourite preventative measure, is water changes...lots of them, and lots of water each time. Even if I convince myself that I will try to be sparing, I know that I won't do it; I'm gonna change water.

I was pretty successful for years with marine tanks back in the 80's and 90's, building all my own tanks, filters, protein skimmers, etc. and I know that by today's standards that equipment and those methods are stone age tech. If I get a marine tank now it will be just one, it will be small and likely will be one of those neat little all-in-one no-brain-required models. May still happen...

Reactions: Deadeye

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Here is one of my old favorite fish, I've no longer have it because it's out growth my tank (8x3x3) and it's move start collapsing live rocks so I donated to local publish aquarium.
At the time of the recorded video, Its size 60 inches long and body grid is 4 inches, it's swallow 12 inches frozen fish with ease.
Just beautiful. You have inspired me

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Here is one of my old favorite fish, I've no longer have it because it's out growth my tank (8x3x3) and it's move start collapsing live rocks so I donated to local publish aquarium.
At the time of the recorded video, Its size 60 inches long and body grid is 4 inches, it's swallow 12 inches frozen fish with ease.
Absolutely gorgeous eel!!! Would love to own a large moray in a big S/W tank one day if i win the lottery...

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Beautiful eel! Nice to see the shrimp eel symbiosis in a tank too!
I can’t wait till I can get one myself!

Cich Mind

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2021
Michigan
If I had to choose it would be freshwater for me personally. Especially since I like the SA/CA cichlids so much. Most seem to have a lot of "personality". Saltwater tanks seem to require much more attention to detail. I'm not knocking saltwater tanks at all, I just prefer fresh water. I may be biased as I have never done a saltwater tank before. Maybe someday...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store