Frontosa and EBJD tank open top or closed lid

Rishab

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2015
Bangalore, India.
Hi all I was wondering if I can continue to keep an open tank top with a hang on filter for my five frontosa juveniles and electric blue Jack Dempseys

A4331D45-6CA7-497F-90F1-F80F4F28CB49.jpeg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Most of my tanks have been, or are now open top tanks, my 180 gal below.0A37C14E-E524-4CF1-86D3-B66F96A62971_1_201_a.jpeg.
Then again, I'm not surprised, and have to occasionally accept the outcome, that I may find a fish dried up on the floor or lawn.
When I had aisles of tanks, I would often find fish from one aisle, in a sump, an aisle 6 ft across the way.
That said, fronts are naturally deep water species, so jumping would not be part of their normal M.O, unless of course they were harassed by some other cichlid.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I wouldn’t keep a jack in an open tank. They can be quite jumpy fish if you approach the tank too quickly or make a sudden movement.
I have a gold jack that constantly hits the lid, tank decor, and walls to “escape” me. It’s quite frustrating as I’ve owned her for about 1.5 years and she still doesn’t care that I’m the one who feeds her. I know for a fact that if I didn’t have a lid she would have been on the floor on multiple occasions.

As a side note, I do hope you plan to upgrade you tank as the current tank looks quite small for all those fish. With the upgrade I would def make sure it has a lid.

Reactions: Rishab

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
As a side note, I do hope you plan to upgrade you tank as the current tank looks quite small for all those fish. With the upgrade I would def make sure it has a lid.
I agree with this, I consider any tank under 100 gallons (better 125 or 150) too small for adult Frontsosa, especially if you are going to house them with JDs (even aquarium strain, line bred types).

Reactions: tlindsey and Rishab

Rishab

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2015
Bangalore, India.
Most of my tanks have been, or are now open top tanks, my 180 gal below.View attachment 1401342.
Then again, I'm not surprised, and have to occasionally accept the outcome, that I may find a fish dried up on the floor or lawn.
When I had aisles of tanks, I would often find fish from one aisle, in a sump, an aisle 6 ft across the way.
That said, fronts are naturally deep water species, so jumping would not be part of their normal M.O, unless of course they were harassed by some other cichlid.
What fishes have you kept in your tanks and which ones did you find on the floor ?

Rishab

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2015
Bangalore, India.
I wouldn’t keep a jack in an open tank. They can be quite jumpy fish if you approach the tank too quickly or make a sudden movement.
I have a gold jack that constantly hits the lid, tank decor, and walls to “escape” me. It’s quite frustrating as I’ve owned her for about 1.5 years and she still doesn’t care that I’m the one who feeds her. I know for a fact that if I didn’t have a lid she would have been on the floor on multiple occasions.

This is a grow out tank, brother. I’ve got another tank for them monster fishes so I wanna make sure these little fellas have attained a significant size before I introduce them into the other tank ;)

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
This is a grow out tank, brother. I’ve got another tank for them monster fishes so I wanna make sure these little fellas have attained a significant size before I introduce them into the other tank ;)
Makes sense, be aware that keeping them in a small grow out tank can slow their growth. If the bigger tank doesn’t have large fish in it then you should just move them over so they have adequate space to grow properly.

Reactions: tlindsey and Rishab

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
What fishes have you kept in your tanks and which ones did you find on the floor ?
Since I started keeping fish over 60 years ago, of the more than 100 species of cichlids I've kept, I wouldn't remember all, but there have been many jumpers.
My latest were 2 subordinate male Andinoacara coerleopuuntatus that were found about 15 ft from the tank, on the lawn. I believe it was the dominant male that chased them from the tank.
146D0976-FF9F-4FEC-83E5-6E75C90B888B_1_201_a.jpeg
A few years back I found an adult female Mayaheros beanie across the aisle from the tank I housed it in, in a sump 6 or 8 ft away.
And Some subordinate Fossorochromis rostratus, and Stomatepis pindu on the basement floor when I had tanks there.
There are many others.
Below a Stomatepia pindu, the white spots on the face are cephalic pits it uses to detect prey in the substrate.

And yes, I've kept both JDs and Fronts.
Here is a video taken in JD habitat in Mexico..
Eden2

Reactions: Rishab

Rishab

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2015
Bangalore, India.
Makes sense, be aware that keeping them in a small grow out tank can slow their growth. If the bigger tank doesn’t have large fish in it then you should just move them over so they have adequate space to grow properly.
The bigger tank has a 10’ arowana so I wouldn’t risk it ?

Reactions: tlindsey

Rishab

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2015
Bangalore, India.
Since I started keeping fish over 60 years ago, of the more than 100 species of cichlids I've kept, I wouldn't remember all, but there have been many jumpers.
My latest were 2 subordinate male Andinoacara coerleopuuntatus that were found about 15 ft from the tank, on the lawn. I believe it was the dominant male that chased them from the tank.
View attachment 1401403
A few years back I found an adult female Mayaheros beanie across the aisle from the tank I housed it in, in a sump 6 or 8 ft away.
And Some subordinate Fossorochromis rostratus, and Stomatepis pindu on the basement floor when I had tanks there.
There are many others.
Below a Stomatepia pindu, the white spots on the face are cephalic pits it uses to detect prey in the substrate.

And yes, I've kept both JDs and Fronts.
Here is a video taken in JD habitat in Mexico..
Eden2
Oh that’s craaazy bro. Have your JDs and Fronts ever jumped? Were they housed together?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store