Gars laying on the bottom?

catfishlover106

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2007
Daly City/San Francisco, CA
ok im not really new to the gars but since i had my other gars like the Rocket gars/hujeta gars...they don't lay on the bottom...unlike my new gars i just recieved today this morning. But one thing is on both the new gars they are different from a needlenose...a friend of mines bought it from someone and my friend gave it to me...i'll post pics of my two new gars once they acclimate to the tank...but its kinda hard with my small orinos keep trying to bite the long nose of the gar...it may be a longnose gar but unsure...oh and do gar lay on the bottom alot or at the top? Not sure if i should lower the temps from 84 degrees but should i?

HPIZZLE

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2007
catfishlover106;2024265; said:
ok im not really new to the gars but since i had my other gars like the Rocket gars/hujeta gars...they don't lay on the bottom...unlike my new gars i just recieved today this morning. But one thing is on both the new gars they are different from a needlenose...a friend of mines bought it from someone and my friend gave it to me...i'll post pics of my two new gars once they acclimate to the tank...but its kinda hard with my small orinos keep trying to bite the long nose of the gar...it may be a longnose gar but unsure...oh and do gar lay on

some gars do, some dont

catfishlover106

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2007
HPIZZLE;2024270; said:
some gars do, some dont
ohhh i see...just wondering. I don't want to think it was a sick gar or something lol i'll get some pics in soon today

Rockbass6

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2007
Lake Erie
84 is pretty high, they can tolerate cold temeratures I would lower it to around 76 even though I don't think that what is causing the gars to lay on the bottom. I see it in some pet stores and I always thought it was either from stress or small tanks. I would bet that it is stress, makes sense since you just picked them up.

catfishlover106

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2007
Rockbass6;2024319; said:
84 is pretty high, they can tolerate cold temeratures I would lower it to around 76 even though I don't think that what is causing the gars to lay on the bottom. I see it in some pet stores and I always thought it was either from stress or small tanks. I would bet that it is stress, makes sense since you just picked them up.
yea...so i'll just let them acclimate for a while and see tomorrow if they are more active...and i'll check tonight

city_of_evil6661

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
gainesville ga
laying on the bottom is normal for gars. mine do it all the time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store