Genius or just stupid?

illbethejudge

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
Miami, FL
Okay. So i went to my friend's house and he has been keeping fish for around 15 years.
He has many tanks but i was amazed to see:
1 oscar
4 severums
1 jurupari earth eater
2 firemouth
1 common pleco
1 black ghost knife
4 blood parrots All of this in a 90 gallon tank and all fish are full size. jurupari is around 9" and the oscar probably 12".
he has 2 emperor 400 and 1 fx5 filter running the tank.
All the fish look healthy, so the question is, stupid or genius?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Okay. So i went to my friend's house and he has been keeping fish for around 15 years.
He has many tanks but i was amazed to see:
1 oscar
4 severums
1 jurupari earth eater
2 firemouth
1 common pleco
1 black ghost knife
4 blood parrots All of this in a 90 gallon tank and all fish are full size. jurupari is around 9" and the oscar probably 12".
he has 2 emperor 400 and 1 fx5 filter running the tank.
All the fish look healthy, so the question is, stupid or genius?

If non of them are not stunted or don't have HITH I will say great job with the over stocked 90 gal.

Reactions: J. H.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
JDM!!!
Fat Homer Fat Homer
We need pics!

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I don't know what you think full size is, but using what I think leads to an estimate that he is creating 32 ppm of nitrate per day. So, to the extent that is correct, unless he does a 100% WC every 12 hours or has a autodrip of 360 gpd, I'm truly skeptical.

If he was doing a 75% WC each week, the nitrates would be so high that it's doubtful some of those species would eat enough to grow.

Maybe, a few days earlier, he stuck a bunch of fish in the tank. Idk. But raising them that way isn't really feasible barring "stupidly" huge water changes.

And that completely ignores the territorial issues or whether or not some of the fish would be able to eat given the competition.

Last edited:

illbethejudge

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
Miami, FL
I don't know what you think full size is, but using what I think leads to an estimate that he is creating 32 ppm of nitrate per day. So, to the extent that is correct, unless he does a 100% WC every 12 hours or has a autodrip of 360 gpd, I'm truly skeptical.

If he was doing a 75% WC each week, the nitrates would be so high that it's doubtful some of those species would eat enough to grow.

Maybe, a few days earlier, he stuck a bunch of fish in the tank. Idk. But raising them that way isn't really feasible barring "stupidly" huge water changes.

And that completely ignores the territorial issues or whether or not some of the fish would be able to eat given the competition.
100% sure those where raised in that tank.
Reason i asked if he was stupid or genius is just i never seen a tank so overcrowed(stupid) but at the same time how he keeps those fish healthy(genius).
mind you he got pothos in the HOB filters i don't know if that helps.

Reactions: J. H.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
JDM!!!
Fat Homer Fat Homer
We need pics!
Lol, how come i was tagged in this post??? You saying i have JDM tanks...

But anyway, is it possible to do so??? Based on stores displays i've seen over here that sometimes have fish crammed for ages in the same tank (talking years here) i would be skeptical too...

If they were almost full grown then possibly they could have finished growing in such an environment, but i personally would not recommend anyone else try it...

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
If you think about it a 100% water change wouldn't take that long at all in that tank. It might be a 90 gallon tank but all those fish probably mean there's only 2 gallon of water in it!!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store