Genius or just stupid?

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I illbethejudge can you at some point talk to the friend and get a description of his techniques?

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
Better yet, take a test kit over there and find out what his Nitrate levels are. Pothos does do a great job eating nitrates. I have used Porhos a lot and love it for it Nitrate processing capabilities... but tanks were never really crowded.

You may need to explain to him why it is important to test for nitrates and why they are harmful to fish even if the high nitrate levels dont kill the fish.

Hello; I illbethejudge can you at some point talk to the friend and get a description of his techniques?

illbethejudge

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
Miami, FL
I forgot to mention he has a wet/dry filter full of pothos.
He told me that the pothos in the tank (some on the HOB's and some in the wet/dry) are the trick. He only does 75% water changes weekly. I am guessing that 2 HOB's plus the canister plus the wet/dry plus the pothos are enough too handle the bio-load but then again i still think that tank is way overstocked and not pleasant to look at.

illbethejudge

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
Miami, FL
Better yet, take a test kit over there and find out what his Nitrate levels are. Pothos does do a great job eating nitrates. I have used Porhos a lot and love it for it Nitrate processing capabilities... but tanks were never really crowded.

You may need to explain to him why it is important to test for nitrates and why they are harmful to fish even if the high nitrate levels dont kill the fish.
explanation won't work. He is a "I know it all type of person" and as far as testing for nitrates that is a hard one since we live 2 hours away. I only go to his house a few times a year.

esoxlucius

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Get him to sign up to the forum so we can all give him a fantastically warm MFK reception and all gush in admiration at his fish keeping skills. Let me know if he does because i want to make sure i've plenty of popcorn!!

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
When I had my 110g tank I started using Pothos after reading through the long thread on this forum. I was amazed at how well they consumed nitrates. I am also a huge fan of Wet/Dry (trickle) filters due to their ability to oxygenate the water and off gas CO2. I am glad his fish have that going for them.

I agree with you though, comfortable nitrate levels and comfortable water parameters from regular water changes does not necessarily equate to comfortable fish or an enjoyable tank.

I forgot to mention he has a wet/dry filter full of pothos.
He told me that the pothos in the tank (some on the HOB's and some in the wet/dry) are the trick. He only does 75% water changes weekly. I am guessing that 2 HOB's plus the canister plus the wet/dry plus the pothos are enough too handle the bio-load but then again i still think that tank is way overstocked and not pleasant to look at.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I am guessing that 2 HOB's plus the canister plus the wet/dry plus the pothos are enough too handle the bio-load
Hello; Not trying to be a jerk with this post. I hear and read often that folks believe a lot of power filters can "handle bio-load". This has some truth but there are limits.

More filter media and surfaces where the water can flow do a couple of things well. First the filter media can trap detritus ( fish waste, excess food, and other particles. These trapped bits can and should be removed on a regular basis. This is good mechanical filtration which keeps a tank looking nice and also can remove some organic junk before it decays and adds thru decay to the "bio-load".
I do not happen to be in the group which favors gently rinsing dirty filter media in tank water and reusing it. I do not want that soiled stuff put back into my tanks. I prefer to replace the filter media with new so it can have the capacity to trap as much detritus as possible.

The second thing power filters do well is to give a place to add what is often called "bio-media" that will be in a good water flow. This is the ceramic media, the bio-balls, the lava rock, the carbon chunks and even glass marbles. The bio media should be placed behind the filter media and to my thinking is not part of mechanical filtration.
This bio media and most other solid surfaces in the tank become places for the beneficial bacteria (bb) to form a bio film of colonies. The bb can make toxic ammonia and nitrites into the much less toxic nitrates. That is where power filters good work ends.

It is my understanding that the best power filters do not remove nitrates. This is where WC and live plants can make a difference.

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Oscar needs at least a 100 gallon tank for a single fish (60x18 footprint).
Severums and jurupari both need at least a 75 gallon tank for a single fish.
Firemouths and blood parrots both need at least a 30 gallon tank for a single fish.
Common pleco needs at least a 450 gallon tank for a single fish (8x3 footprint).
Black ghost knife needs at least a 180 gallon tank for a single fish (6x2 footprint).

Personally - if I had to have that stock, I'd do it in the 450 that the pleco will eventually need (if it doesn't die first). Heavy filtration and lots of water changes or a constant drip, and it would be set.

So, your friend and I are only about 500% off from one another, give or take.

Drew

Reactions: Chicxulub

illbethejudge

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
Miami, FL
Get him to sign up to the forum so we can all give him a fantastically warm MFK reception and all gush in admiration at his fish keeping skills. Let me know if he does because i want to make sure i've plenty of popcorn!!
Oscar needs at least a 100 gallon tank for a single fish (60x18 footprint).
Severums and jurupari both need at least a 75 gallon tank for a single fish.
Firemouths and blood parrots both need at least a 30 gallon tank for a single fish.
Common pleco needs at least a 450 gallon tank for a single fish (8x3 footprint).
Black ghost knife needs at least a 180 gallon tank for a single fish (6x2 footprint).

Personally - if I had to have that stock, I'd do it in the 450 that the pleco will eventually need (if it doesn't die first). Heavy filtration and lots of water changes or a constant drip, and it would be set.

So, your friend and I are only about 500% off from one another, give or take.

Drew
I made a comment about how the tank was way overstocked and that it would be nice for the oscar to have the tank for itself and maybe the blood parrots if you wanna push it but i think he didn't like my comment. I think that tank is an experiment to him since we are talking about a guy that has a heavily planted 55 gallon tank stocked with 10 cardinal tetras and 5 cory catfish, he also has a 180 gallon with 1 lonely arowana. He got more than 13 tanks and only 1 tank overstocked.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store