Genius or just stupid?

illbethejudge

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
Miami, FL
+1. At least proper JDM tanks provide insane filtration levels and completely open tanks. Not that I necessarily agree with that kind of fish keeping, but it's better than all of the fish mentioned in a 90, probably with decorations and relatively low filtration levels.

Drew
his filtration system is actually really good. he has 2 emperor 400, 1 fx5 and a wet/dry filter with a 700GPH pump + pothos in the wet/dry and in the emperors

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Filtration shmiltration, while it's great that the water quality is being kept in check (?), this set up sounds similar to most *proper* JDM set ups. Fish crammed into a glass box, like sardines into a tin. I could keep a handful of fish alive in a toilet bowl, but that wouldn't make me a genius. More along the lines of an arrogant a-hole.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Agreed RD. RD.

We, as keepers, are charged with the health and wellbeing of our captives. Just because one can do something, it doesn't mean that they should.

I think k the main reason JDM style tanks went out of favor is largely because of this cultural shift in the hobby. People are starting to care more about their charge, and biotopes built around a handful of key specimens are becoming popular.

I like this change.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Even with the wet/dry left out of the original post, adding a 1,000 gallon sump isn't going to help reduce the stress of all of the fish listed below living their lives out in the confines of a glass box that measures 48x18x24.

1 oscar
4 severums
1 jurupari earth eater
2 firemouth
1 common pleco
1 black ghost knife
4 blood parrots All of this in a 90 gallon tank and all fish are full size. jurupari is around 9" and the oscar probably 12".
he has 2 emperor 400 and 1 fx5 filter running the tank.

That's just f'd up, no other rational way of looking at this. I view people who keep tanks such as this the same as I view a crazy cat person that keeps 20 cats in their apartment. Even with a quality diet, and all of the windows open for plenty of fresh air, those animals are crowded beyond what anyone could consider being a healthy environment. Not just healthy to look at, even crazy people can appear to be mentally sound, and appear to be healthy, and we know how that sometimes turns out.

One of the most important things I had to learn early on in this hobby was to understand my limitations, and then have enough discipline to stay within those limitations. Some people get it, some never do.

Just because one can do something, it doesn't mean that they should.
Agreed, that has been a personal mantra of mine for many years.

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Filtration shmiltration, while it's great that the water quality is being kept in check (?), this set up sounds similar to most *proper* JDM set ups. Fish crammed into a glass box, like sardines into a tin. I could keep a handful of fish alive in a toilet bowl, but that wouldn't make me a genius. More along the lines of an arrogant a-hole.
Can't hit the like button hard enough.

Drew

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store