Genius or just stupid?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I assumed by the OP's question, he was asking for an opinion?

Reactions: J. H.

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
I can appreciate that your point of view is different. We're all entitled to our own opinions. But no one thinks fish tanks are more important than starving children or being in a war.

In fact, I'm sure no one on sports, art, gaming, decorating or cooking forums thinks their hobbies are more important. But that has zero to do with this thread. And believe it or not, people discussing how to take care of fish neither causes wars nor starvation, and if we were to stop discussing fish it will not end wars or starvation.

So your point is moot.

And although our lives may not meet up to your standards, we all have a life. But thanks for your heart felt concern.
I think this should star a war. Light stock vs. Over stock.... and go!

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Lets say in theory he's never lost a fish and the nitrates are somehow not an issue, the fish still don't have much room to move or swim in a tank that is 4 ft by 18". Is it bare too?

How big is the common pleco?

Kudos for him using pothos, which indicates that he's at least aware that water quality is a concern... but I still see this as far from genius. :/

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
Neither the BGK nor the common pleco should be housed in a 90 long term. It is way overstocked in my opinion, but rather than call someone who can not defend themselves stupid, I would refer to it as a misguided attempt at fish keeping. Not something to be emulated.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
My point of view is that even though this man appears to have made this setup more or less function, it's still not ideal. One must grudgingly acknowledge the fact that he at least appears to have kept stability in this setup. That doesn't mean that I have to acknowledge that this setup is ideal.

I saw the JDM tanks coming up a lot in this thread. Don't most *proper* JDM tanks have a huge sump thats as larger or larger than the tank to add water to the system for stability? Most of these insanely overstocked American tanks are just that... overstocked.

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
My point of view is that even though this man appears to have made this setup more or less function, it's still not ideal. One must grudgingly acknowledge the fact that he at least appears to have kept stability in this setup. That doesn't mean that I have to acknowledge that this setup is ideal.

I saw the JDM tanks coming up a lot in this thread. Don't most *proper* JDM tanks have a huge sump thats as larger or larger than the tank to add water to the system for stability? Most of these insanely overstocked American tanks are just that... overstocked.
+1. At least proper JDM tanks provide insane filtration levels and completely open tanks. Not that I necessarily agree with that kind of fish keeping, but it's better than all of the fish mentioned in a 90, probably with decorations and relatively low filtration levels.

Drew

Reactions: Chicxulub
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store