Good tankmates for Asian Arowana?

Gamer x

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2019
Since I'm planning on getting a super red or golden crossback arowana from planet arowana in the future later down the line after that I wanna add another fish, preferably a catfish. The only large catfish I've seen are the red tail catfish which is too big and the tigrinus catfish which I think is also too big but I don't know for sure. The tank I wanna get is 96(L) by 30(W) by 24(H)inches (looking for one with a larger width) so what large catfish could stay in that with an Asian arowana, thanks.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Since I'm planning on getting a super red or golden crossback arowana from planet arowana in the future later down the line after that I wanna add another fish, preferably a catfish. The only large catfish I've seen are the red tail catfish which is too big and the tigrinus catfish which I think is also too big but I don't know for sure. The tank I wanna get is 96(L) by 30(W) by 24(H)inches (looking for one with a larger width) so what large catfish could stay in that with an Asian arowana, thanks.
islandguy11 islandguy11

Reactions: islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Good thing Neil chimed in, cats are one fish I really know next to nothing about (other than than they can eat a lot lol). But given they'll usually occupy different water level zones I would think most wouldn't be an issue as long as not too big of a size discrepancy. That said I don't think I'd ever trust one of those crazy Gulpers around an expensive Arowana.

Reactions: Zanzag and tlindsey

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Ive never kept asians but tons of people keep Bichirs with aro's. Im keeping them with silvers and had them with a jardini in the past.

They're great fish i think you'll be happy with the results.

If your set on a cat id go with a juruense but bichirs would be my 1st choice

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Vulture cats, goonch suchus, ompok, spotted shovelnose, Irwini and adult bolts are options.

Wyckii should be kept alone. Too agro.

Reactions: tlindsey

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Bolt is a great suggestion. Always wanted one but would be concerned with the adult sizes of both fish. I thought bolts only topped out at 12ish inches

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Bolt is a great suggestion. Always wanted one but would be concerned with the adult sizes of both fish. I thought bolts only topped out at 12ish inches
Fishman Dave Fishman Dave had one and mentioned it got 16 in believe.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store