Green Sunfish Behavioral Changes.

itrebebag99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
Illinois
A couple months ago I introduced a ~3 inch green sunfish that I caught hook and line into an aquarium containing a ~9 inch bullhead. Instantly, the bullhead came out and attacked the green sunfish. The sunfish had a pretty nasty wound on it's tail, and I thought for sure it wasn't going to survive. However the next day it fed on an earthworm, and within a week it was swimming toward the front of the aquarium, begging for food. This went on until about two weeks ago, when the green sunfish refused to take an earthworm, and ever since then it will only take pelleted food, and not very aggressively either. I don't this this is due to stress, as surely there would have been more stress after the green was introduced, and he fed vigorously then. Also he has turned much darker, and I thought fish turned lighter as a response to stress. What does anybody out there make of the situation

Reactions: GamerChick5567

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Typically, fish turn darker when stressed. Did you treat for parasites, or deworm, or just cross your fingers and toss him in?

itrebebag99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
Illinois
I didn't even cross my fingers, just tossed him in, lol. I think if this is a parasite issue, he contracted it from some pieces of sunfish I fed him some qlittle while ago(I gut hooked a panfish, and decided to feed to to my fish, but being a idiot, I forgot to freeze it first). What is the most likely parasite do you think?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In nature most fish carry a few parasites, that live with them non-lethally, in fact all animals do. Some do die of course.
When these parasites breed the young duo off and in a large area like a lake or river do not re-infect the same individual.
But in the confines of an aquarium, they have no where else to go, and in the tiny area of 100 or even 200 gallons easily reinfect and become lethal.

itrebebag99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
Illinois
I treated for parasites, and it still refuses to eat earthworms (still eats pellets). Any idea of what is going on?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Just be happy that it's eating.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
What did you treat with, and for how long?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store