alishabillmen

Feeder Fish
Mar 18, 2019
Hello,

I am looking for some suggestions for potential GT tank mates, Gold Saum variety.
My tank details are as followed:
Brand - 55 gallon Ciano
Measurements - 40”L x 15.5”W x 24”H
Filteration - Fluval 406 External Filter

My GT seems to be the odd relaxed one. He’s currently in with ‘incompatible’ mates such as barbs, keyholes.
They are being removed just in case of course. I wanted this GT for ever so long :)
I am looking for tank mate suggestions, if any, of medium bodied fish. For example I like:
  • Electric Blue Jack Demseys
  • Firemouths
I only want suggestions for my current tank, but I am saving to move out with my partner and we’re getting a custom tank designed, in the hundreds of gallons, he has large fish like Oscars and of course I have my GT, so a big tank is a 110% certain in the next 2/3 years!

Thanks in advance!
- Alisha

9EE826DC-5EC5-45D8-8BB6-FFEC3D14E290.jpeg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In a tank as small as a 55, I believe you are going to have a hard time housing other cichlids, and would be better off with the barbs or tetras. Most cichlids are territorial and see each other as completion, and in a tank with that small of a footprint, there's not much room to divide up. Most "non-cichlids" could be ignored by your GT, as irrelevant, as long as they can't be swallowed. It may however, see the space there, as only room enough for itself, and no other anything.
I have Panamanian green terrors in a 180 gal, and within the last 2 weeks, the large male has killed 2 similar sized males, and is working on a 3rd. It has ignored the smaller females, and other Panamanian "non-cichlids", in the tank.

Last edited:

alishabillmen

Feeder Fish
Mar 18, 2019
In a tank as small as a 55, I believe you are going to have a hard time housing other cichlids, and would be better off with the barbs or tetras. Most cichlids are territorial and see each other as completion, and in a tank with that small of a footprint, there's not much room to divide up. Most "non-cichlids" could be ignored by your GT, as irrelevant, as long as they can't be swallowed. It may however, believe there is only room enough, for itself, and no other anything.
I have Panamanian green terrors in a 180 gal, and within the last 2 weeks, the large male has killed 2 similar sized males, and is working on a 3rd. It has ignored the smaller females, and other Panamanian "non-cichlids", in the tank.
View attachment 1365254
Thank you for your response!
Do you not think even one other medium cichlid would work? Some people have recommended certain ones, but I do understand it would be pushing it.

Alternatively, do you think any catfish may work? My partner has a squeaker (I believe) and I love him?

Thanks again!

Spence

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2015
MA
The green terror will get around 10 inches if it’s a male. Putting any other territorial fish will make it pretty uncomfortable. Some cats may work, but again maybe not....you just don’t have a lot of tank to work with once this guy grows up.

alishabillmen

Feeder Fish
Mar 18, 2019
The green terror will get around 10 inches if it’s a male. Putting any other territorial fish will make it pretty uncomfortable. Some cats may work, but again maybe not....you just don’t have a lot of tank to work with once this guy grows up.
I do agree with you. I am thrilled with him anyway, I will hold out until we get the custom tank built. If only I had the space for a larger tank now! :(

Thanks for your input!

blehjesse

Feeder Fish
May 1, 2020
I have a small convict and a small GT in my 55 gallon and there doing fine so far, any recommendations for maybe another tank mate? i was thinking a jack Dempsey or something?

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I have a small convict and a small GT in my 55 gallon and there doing fine so far, any recommendations for maybe another tank mate? i was thinking a jack Dempsey or something?
This post is over a year old. Starting your own thread would get you more attention/replies.

I personally wouldn’t keep any other cichlids with your gt. It normally starts fine and will be fine for a few months, maybe even a year. But once things go bad they can be very violent. Mine don’t tolerate other cichlids and are selective with their own kind as well. Females for me always end up in a solo tank. My males are less aggressive and do well with none cichlid tank mates.
My suggestion would be to get a 6’ tank for the gt and let the convict have the 55:)

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store