Green Terror tank mates

Gundog21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2017
It has been a long time since ive had setup a tank. The GT was always my favorite. I have a 60 gallon and plan on getting a GT and a blue JD ( i understand risks of aggression). i also want to have a con and a firemouth in the same tank. I plan on introducing all at same time. Does anybody have any input? I have inserts and plants for hiding places. and i understand ill eventually have to remove either the GT or Blue dempsey( preferbley the dempsey) does anyone have any experience with the combo? any suggestions as far as care and or other possible tank mates that could work with the fish id wish could get along undoubtabley?

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I had a GT, con and fire mouth in the same tank (a 55, iirc) with plenty of rock work (caves), and some plants (plastic) to break the line of sight. Also a common pleco who was left alone. I don't recall what else, but it wasn't much.

They chased each other or squared off, but it was never excessive.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I have a 75gl and started with one female gt and a female jd. My female gt does not get along with any other cichlids. The jd had to be rehomed.
Based on my experience I would advise against any other cichlids with a gt.

If you like gts the most let that be your main fish. Then get some community fish for more movement.
My very aggressive female gt gets along great with tetras, plecos, and a small puffer.

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
You will have problems with fighting, 100%

In my 75g male gt is more than enough for that tank size and he is only 6" maybe a touch more.

He tried to kill anything that comes near his tank. But he does ignored my 10 synodontis catfish though. So I guess there are some exceptions.

Aruzar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2017
Regardless of what happens between which fish you will most likely loose a fish. My guess is that the bigger fish that are stronger, the Dempsey and the GT are going to kill off the firemouth and eventually the convict. Firemouths are a push over and can't hold their own against those kinds of fish. They are more peaceful and shouldn't be introduced to something more aggressive

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Eh, not a great chance of it working out long term. But you could grow them out in there. I would just leave the convict out, they tend to be much more aggressive than the other three. Nanoluteus would be a good replacement if you can find one. I would put them all in at the same time, make sure there are plenty of caves, and keep some swordtails in there as well to distract them a bit from each other.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store