Guess the species! - (ID Practice)

Josh's Fish

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2014
United Kingdom
www.thebichirhandbook.com
Well don't actually guess, I want you to tell me what species of Bichir this is and give me a good reason to why you think that (besides "it just looks like it.") Be descriptive! Think of features, markings, shape, colour etc. his will help you when it comes to identifying Bichirs :)

If it helps, return to this thread for reference
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/all-bichir-polypterus-species-updated.684410/

Here's the pic, good luck!

17157555_1302861746471045_2224510662226575293_o.jpg

If this sparks a lot of interest, I might make it a regular thing :)

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
This is fun. I suck at overall poly ID except the obvious ones, and ID from head shape etc is not my forte yet. I am too new - so this should be good for me.

OK, upper jaw. I think Polyaddict is making up the cross on the head cuz I can't see that at all. ;) But I feel like most of the UJs are more speckled excepting Dels and Ornates... Even though the yellow initially makes me think Palmas complex... they are speckly. And this one also has a lot of white on the lower part of the jaw/body.

So I agree - Del.

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Captive Bred Delhezi

Tapered headshape with narrow mouth /^^\ Broad gill plates. Presumably a sausage cb body attached. Striation on mouth.

It can't be a palmas palmas, retro, or polli due to not having the black line on each side of jaw. Similar to weeksii. Plus no wide rounded grin. Therefore, cb delhezi

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
This is fun. I suck at overall poly ID except the obvious ones, and ID from head shape etc is not my forte yet. I am too new - so this should be good for me.

OK, upper jaw. I think Polyaddict is making up the cross on the head cuz I can't see that at all. ;) But I feel like most of the UJs are more speckled excepting Dels and Ornates... Even though the yellow initially makes me think Palmas complex... they are speckly. And this one also has a lot of white on the lower part of the jaw/body.

So I agree - Del.
Not making it up they really do have the cross on their foreheads

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay

So I agree - Del.
You dont see the green line in the head :eek:

Reactions: magpie
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store