Guppy breeding help

pescado209

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2017
guppy seem to have really low survival rates in my experience I started with 40 guppies and I'm down to less than 30 a month later. I don't understand y that is.i always have had high mortality rates from private breeders and big box stores. this is the 3rd time I'm giving guppies a try in 2 years

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
guppy seem to have really low survival rates in my experience I started with 40 guppies and I'm down to less than 30 a month later. I don't understand y that is.i always have had high mortality rates from private breeders and big box stores. this is the 3rd time I'm giving guppies a try in 2 years
That seems to be how it’s going for me as well. I started with 7 females and 5 males. My males started dropping every few days a couple weeks after I got them. My guess was I had too many and they were fighting over the females.
But I have since lost 2 females and only have one male now.
It puzzles me. They are healthy, no parasites, water is great, I can’t imagine what I might be doing wrong?
I told my husband after this I’m done with guppies. I’ll either shut down my 10 or give shrimp a try. I’ve never had such issues keeping one type of fish.

pescado209

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2017
same thing with me. tanks fully cycled and stabile yet they randomly die one by one.
shrimp are so easy I think you will be happier . I started with 20. my tanks is full of them now. I know I can't count them all because there so many plants for them to hide.

20171210_131153.jpg

Reactions: MrsE88

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Thats awesome. I’ve never kept them before, but I think they would be pretty cool to watch:)

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I get a pretty high attrition rate, but if each female pops 25-40 fry a month, you can afford to lose plenty to random deaths and cannibalization. i got my current colony when I bought a one female to cycle a tank and she gave birth before she died. Upping the kh,gh&ph will increase their chances of survival.

Reactions: pescado209

pescado209

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2017
I get a pretty high attrition rate, but if each female pops 25-40 fry a month, you can afford to lose plenty to random deaths and cannibalization. i got my current colony when I bought a one female to cycle a tank and she gave birth before she died. Upping the kh,gh&ph will increase their chances of survival.
i hope so because I just found 3 more dead guppies . kind of a big let down finding a body or 2 every couple days.

pescado209

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2017
Thats awesome. I’ve never kept them before, but I think they would be pretty cool to watch:)
yea they are they are very active little guys. always something up to something

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store