heater for large tanks

godfreylang

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2013
Philippines
hi guys. I currently have a 350 gallon tank running with a 150 gallon sump tank filter. I need to bump up the temp to 31 degrees celsius since one of my rays is not eating well. I am using 2 pcs of 300 watt heaters on the tank. I notice that when i set the heater temp to 31 the tank's temp is 28.5. When i adjusted the heater to 33 the water on the tank is at 30.1. I plan to just keep on adjusting the heater temp higher to obtain my desired tank temp of 31. Am i doing it right with the heaters or is there something wrong ? thanks guys !

Lgw

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
hi guys. I currently have a 350 gallon tank running with a 150 gallon sump tank filter. I need to bump up the temp to 31 degrees celsius since one of my rays is not eating well. I am using 2 pcs of 300 watt heaters on the tank. I notice that when i set the heater temp to 31 the tank's temp is 28.5. When i adjusted the heater to 33 the water on the tank is at 30.1. I plan to just keep on adjusting the heater temp higher to obtain my desired tank temp of 31. Am i doing it right with the heaters or is there something wrong ? thanks guys !
It just sounds like your heaters arent calibrated properly. Are your heaters constantly running or do they turn off when your reaching the above temperatures?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
You may want to add another heater, and put it in the sump.
You may also want to add styrofoam on back, bottom and non-viewing sides of the tank, and sump. In winter my house would get fairly cold, and I found the addition of styrofoam panels did wonders for holding tank heat, and saving on the electric bill.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
That's essentially what I do running my titanium heaters with controller. My heaters are in one sump chamber, and the controller temp probe is in another chamber. I have another separate temp probe in the overflow box in the tank. Given this, I believe it's why my variance between the two is typically within less than two degrees. My controller is set to 79 F, and my probe in the overflow box reads at 77.0, when the heat turns on, and, off by ~77.7.

I think you are fine.

godfreylang

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2013
Philippines
You may want to add another heater, and put it in the sump.
Hi duanes.thanks. i am actually thinking of adding another heater. currently living in a tropical country so tank heat does not dissipate fast. Good tip though on sticking styros on the sides ... like a cooler box :)

godfreylang

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2013
Philippines
That's essentially what I do running my titanium h My controller is set to 79 F, and my probe in the overflow box reads at 77.0, when the heat turns on, and, off by ~77.7.

I think you are fine.
thanks a lot ! was quite confused on how to really set the heater but I guess one needs to experiment a lot to get the right temp for the tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store