HELLLLLP ME PLEASE I'M DESPERATE AND GOING TO CRY!!

FirstTimeFisher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2017
Brooklyn
So I don't have much time, or so I believe and I'm really freaking out. This has been going on for the whole day now. From since I woke up today I noticed my Dad's Silver Arowana threw up his meal from yesterday.

I did a 30% water change yesterday. 55gal tank. Yes I know it was a lot but I've been away and he collected A LOT of poop on the bottom.
Waters are fine. As far as I test and I'm honestly too freaked out to test again now. But I stay on top of it. This is the first time he ever reacted this way after a water change.

He's been breathing through the mouth all day. Gills open and close. He's trying to stay a float but he's always going back vertical (Head UP & Tail DOWN). I keep keep keep reading and I keep thinking it's SBD but I am so freaked out. My dad's birthday is tomorrow and this fish CANNOT die.

He shares the tank (Divided) with a Black Convict Cichlid who has not AT ALL been affected by the water change.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
30% water change yesterday. 55gal tank
shares the tank (Divided) with a Black Convict Cichlid
too freaked out to test again now
Hello; First thing you should try to settle down if you can. Panic and such will not help. Nor will worry about a birthday. Panic can sometime lead to doing a wrong thing just to be doing something and has made things worse.
More information will help. Do a test of the water again. By the way what do you test the water with? Strips or a liquid test kit?

Also will help to know the size of the fish. How long is the convict? how long is the arowana?

A 55 gallon is pretty small for these two fish unless they are both babies. If they are more than a few inches such a small tank can go bad pretty fast.
Just as a wild guess the only thing I can suggest is to do more water changes. If you have been doing 30% then stick with that amount a couple of times right away, one right now and another tomorrow. Then maybe go to over 50% each day for a time.
Also stop feeding both fish for several days.
Check the filters and such to see if anything seems wrong.

Need more information especially water parameters.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Test the water. Lower the water level and. Add some plants or something to prop the fish up and it’s a normal swimming position.

Add some salt at a 1tsp per gallon.

Maybe from hitting itself against the glass or lid. Hope it gets betters soon.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; how long has the tank been set up?
Do you know about the "cycle" of an aquarium, also sometimes talked about to as bio-load and beneficial bacteria (bb)?
Are either of the fish new?

duanes duanes Drstrangelove Drstrangelove

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store