help bullhead catfish fighting.

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
hello since a month I have problems with my bullheads.
I caught 3 of the bullheads in a lake 6 years ago in France, since they are a pest there. I had them grow up in a small tank 1,2m. Everything went well they grew up fast. 1 died because he ate a pleco that was to big.
So I had 2 left, I put them in a 2meter tank and now they are around 32 cm.
They always used to swim together but since a month they are fighting. This is the third time I see them fighting.

What should I do?

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Depends on details. Many fish dispute their differences once in a blue moon, sometimes, often, or all the time.

At the same time, a one-time fight might be enough to separate or an everyday fight might be tolerable.

What are we talking about? What's the damage? Is there blood? Are there fin chunks missing? What's the stress level? Do they both still feed well?

Reactions: tlindsey

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Depends on details. Many fish dispute their differences once in a blue moon, sometimes, often, or all the time.

At the same time, a one-time fight might be enough to separate or an everyday fight might be tolerable.

What are we talking about? What's the damage? Is there blood? Are there fin chunks missing? What's the stress level? Do they both still feed well?
damage is minimal. some fins are a little bit gone but thats not a big issue. No blood. stress seems low but I dont know about nighttime. The tank is 2meters. they eat good

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Well, it sounds rather normal for two bullheads. What species btw?

In general, two territorial fish, or two fish that enforce a hierarchy, is a bad number. One will always dominate the other. But sometimes, it passes. Or perhaps you are seeing a courtship behavior consequences.

If it worsens or goes on all the time for many months, I'd either separate or give them a much bigger tank / pond so they could get away from each other or get more of them in there.

Reactions: neko1

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Well, it sounds rather normal for two bullheads. What species btw?

In general, two territorial fish, or two fish that enforce a hierarchy, is a bad number. One will always dominate the other. But sometimes, it passes. Or perhaps you are seeing a courtship behavior consequences.

If it worsens or goes on all the time for many months, I'd either separate or give them a much bigger tank / pond so they could get away from each other or get more of them in there.
I got no idea what species. I think the black bullhead

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Do you have a thread with photos or videos? If not, it may pay to get them ID'ed to the species.

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
here are some pictures. I tried to identify them. But its hard for me I came to the conclusion black bullhead. but im not sure. I would love ur opinion

IMG_5268.JPG IMG_5271.JPG IMG_5346.JPG IMG_5432.JPG IMG_5436.JPG

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I think we may or may be able to tell from a closeup photo of the back of the pectoral spine - someone having this experience should advise because I've never tried it so I simply don't know.

On the other hand, you can tell by feeling the back of the spine. If you don't want to pester your pets, you could catch another one from the same body of water and check out its pectoral spines. Carefully. Let the fish exhaust itself from flipping and fighting because you don't want to get stubbed. It's not lethal but hurts pretty bad. Or wear a heavy leather glove on one hand, immobilise the pec spine, and feel with the other.

I wonder if the teeth serve the same purpose as used by Doradids in a scissor fashion - if your finger gets between the spine and the body, Doradids press hard the spine against the body, which also bears thorns, and the finger gets punctured in several places. If the fish tosses and rolls too, the puncture wounds get ripped also.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store