help bullhead catfish fighting.

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
I think we may or may be able to tell from a closeup photo of the back of the pectoral spine - someone having this experience should advise because I've never tried it so I simply don't know.

On the other hand, you can tell by feeling the back of the spine. If you don't want to pester your pets, you could catch another one from the same body of water and check out its pectoral spines. Carefully. Let the fish exhaust itself from flipping and fighting because you don't want to get stubbed. It's not lethal but hurts pretty bad. Or wear a heavy leather glove on one hand, immobilise the pec spine, and feel with the other.

I wonder if the teeth serve the same purpose as used by Doradids in a scissor fashion - if your finger gets between the spine and the body, Doradids press hard the spine against the body, which also bears thorns, and the finger gets punctured in several places. If the fish tosses and rolls too, the puncture wounds get ripped also.
after reading this I kind of dont want to catch them.:lol2:

btw what kind of smileys does this forum have?:jaw::icon_naruto10:kakashi?:character0004: dragon ball?:barf:this one is awesome:Pikachu::smurf:nutkick:ballkick?? what

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
after reading this I kind of dont want to catch them.:lol2:

btw what kind of smileys does this forum have?:jaw::icon_naruto10:kakashi?:character0004: dragon ball?:barf:this one is awesome:Pikachu::smurf:nutkick:ballkick?? what
Just turn them upside down so they don't flop, with most smallish cats I grab behind the pectoral fin

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
I got their size yesterday and they grew another 3 cm. They are now around 30cm....
I thought that they would stop growing at around 25cm. How big are they gone get?

and is my. tank still big enough for my bullheads? tank is 2 meters

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Brown max out at ~23". Black at ~27". But these appear to be rare, like 7'-8' tall people. I'd think they should grow to 18" or 45 cm. After all, their natural lifespan is probably a few decades. Correct me if anyone knows different, please.

2 meter x 0.6 meter tank could be minimally adequate for perhaps 5 years.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store