Help my Ropefish got swallowed!

senegalrb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2016
Please help. I was dumb enough to buy an endli bichir. And added it to my 120 gal ropefish tank. I feed them a mix of earthworms, squid, fillet fish and an ocassional bloodworm treat. My endli began to bulk up and tonight when i was about to feed them i saw my ropefish tail bit sticking out of my endli's mouth. I then poked my endli and he regurgitated my ropefish and he was still breathing. Please help what should i do, i did separate the ropefish in my quarantine tank soo far he looks like he's gonna be okay. But im still scared he might die. I love my ropefish alot.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Would separate the rope and reduce stress. Add some plants/decor. Keep the water clean. Let it slowly recover. Don’t feed for several days.

senegalrb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2016
Thank you sooo much guys for all the ove. I just checked my rope is doing fine now. I added him to a more shallower water with a basic sponge filter. And kept it in a darker place. Hes doing well now. Ill try my best to let him recover. But his color came back and he is breathing normally now. Im about to add a hide to make him feel safer. Thank you guys for all the pointers. Soo far upon checking no damage no fin damage or scale damage. Thank God for polys and their strong armor heads.

senegalrb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2016
:(

I'm sorry. I really hope he pulls through. I love ropes.

Do you have other ropes in the tank, too? You mentioned it was a rope tank. Now it's clearly an Endli tank.
No the tank is set up only for the rope. And a few angels. Ropes are quite social and very peaceful specially towards bigger peaceful fish.

Reactions: Polyaddict86

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Phew - really happy to read that! You were in the right place at the right time. You saved the guy.

I know they're social - so much so that they like to live with rope friends, at least in groups of 3+, so I was just making sure you didn't have other ropes in the tank for the Endli to snack on.

So do you have another tank for either your rope or your endli to live in, or is your endli going to be rehomed?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Thank goodness it pulled through! Endlis are little chompers it seems, what's the plan with it now?

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Yep, my endli ate one of my small peacock bass that it was in QT with. The endli was about 7” and the bass was about 4”. I was very surprised that it was able to get the bass down.

Reactions: senegalrb
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store