Help with annoying sand

RemainVayne

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
Currently have black diamond blasting sand in my tank. There are 4 returns on the back wall and 2 powerheads on the right and left sides of the tank pointing upward.

No matter where I point the return loc lines or where the powerheads are directed, the front 3" of my sand bed gradually gets blown to the back of the tank. Not the end of the world, but super annoying and makes the tank look bad.

Has this happened to anyone else? I can't figure out what flow is causing this to occur because I've tried adjusting flow direction so much and it keeps happening.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Depending how strong the current is, maybe the lack of decor around the tank is allowing the flow to move your sand very slowly and gradually...

Or maybe its just your fish that want to drive you nuts...

aquaticanimalspecilist

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2019
my best guess would be that either the bicher keeps moving the sand for a bed or the returns on the back wall are push the water towards the front panel causing the water to circulate downwards and moves the sand towards the back

RemainVayne

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
my best guess would be that either the bicher keeps moving the sand for a bed or the returns on the back wall are push the water towards the front panel causing the water to circulate downwards and moves the sand towards the back
I feel like it has to be the returns, but I can't figure out where to point them so that the flow doesn't push the sand back

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; add more substrate. Of course that my create issues. I like about 4 inches minimum.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store