Help with annoying sand

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
You want to disrupt that barrel-shaped flow that's causing your sand to move in the same direction all the time.

Just cross the beams like in Ghostbusters.

That could create enough turbulence to solve your problem.

Reactions: Aquadog

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I'm guessing that you have a fair old turnover rate on your tank. If so, that fast turnover in conjunction with your four returns, and powerheads, is obviously causing this problem. You've tried several different positional combos already, to no avail.

Would it be such a problem to dial your turnover down, do your fish need high turnover? I think that's where i'd start, dial it back, see how you go, and turn it back up incrementally until you reach a happy medium between an acceptable turnover and minimal movement of sand.

If you reach a point where your sand only remains dead still with a really low and unacceptable turnover then you may have to think about a heavier substrate if you want your current flow.

Aquadog

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2009
CA
You want to disrupt that barrel-shaped flow that's causing your sand to move in the same direction all the time.

Just cross the beams like in Ghostbusters.

That could create enough turbulence to solve your problem.

I agree with Ulu. It looks like you have the barrel or round return nozzles. I had a similar issue with my tank and it would blow the 0 and 1 Grade sand everyone because the flow bounced off structures and the glass. Try swapping over to this style nozzle and it will help spread your flow horizontally, giving you a more broad flow. Also, avoid aiming your nozzles directly at the front glass. I would angle them at a 45 degree to give you more distance in the water for the flow to go.

21j-TG7PLFL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Reactions: RemainVayne

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Reactions: RemainVayne

RemainVayne

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
Sorry, haven't posted back in a while. Turns out dialing down the flow a little, as well as crossing the loc line outputs, has lessened the sand disruption (for now).

Thanks for all the help and suggestions to everyone!

RemainVayne

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
OK I lied. Took a little longer to disrupt the sand, and while decreasing flow and changing around powerheads did work, the front of the sand bed has been pushed all the way back again.

Aside from diamond black, what other brands would you recommend? I can't seem to find any black sand that doesn't appear very fine.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
OK I lied. Took a little longer to disrupt the sand, and while decreasing flow and changing around powerheads did work, the front of the sand bed has been pushed all the way back again.

Aside from diamond black, what other brands would you recommend? I can't seem to find any black sand that doesn't appear very fine.
The thickest I've came across is imaginarium black sand from petco but even that wont cut it. It will still shift. Doesnt matter how much u dial down the flow. You could have no flow in the tank and ur sand will still get pushed back bc that's just what Ray's do as they climb up the tank. It will be easier and easier for them to push it back the larger they get.

Your best bet is to just paint the outside bottom black .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store