how bad is this???

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
That is so funny you would say that... I swear as I was reading some of the things people wrote on here I was thinking the same exact thing!!!! WOW..... I don't know maybe I am wrong and you guys have perfect crystal clear stream water running through your water pipes and they don't add any chemicals to clean it and kill the bad stuff off, But where I live they get our water out of the muddy Maumee river and run it through 2 different water cleaning plants to clean it and then add a million and one different chemicals to it to kill any kind of micro bacteria, algae or any other living things left in the water that the filters did not get out.. And believe it or not these chemicals that are made to kill bacteria will kill it rather it is in the water treatment plant or your fish tank filter... THATS WHAT IT IS MADE TO DO... I bet you will next tell me real hot or real cold water will not kill the bacteria in your filter either right?? Now I understand why my fish love me so much and I can keep the fish that everyone else says they can't and I never have a problem with them!!!!
What chemicals are you talking about? If it's chlorine/chloramine then you'd use a product like Prime. If there are problems with sediments/heavy metals/additional chemicals, then you could run the water through a sediment filter and carbon block before using it in your aquarium.

Not all water is created equal. You may not want to use your water directly from the tap to do a 100% water change, but that does not mean that it's a bad idea for everyone. Your previous posts imply that all 100% water changes are bad, but this one reveals that it has more to do with the quality of your source water that keeps you from doing so.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
And believe it or not these chemicals that are made to kill bacteria will kill it rather it is in the water treatment plant or your fish tank filter... THATS WHAT IT IS MADE TO DO...

My local tap water runs through a 5 stage filtration process, an Ultraviolet (UV) disinfection process, and last but not least a chemical disinfection process that leaves a residual of 2 mg/l chloramine as it leaves the water treatment facility. The "chemical" that you refer to (in this case a chlorine/ammonia combo) is easily reduced to fish safe substances via a water conditioner such as Prime or Seachem Safe, which are both designed to treat chloramine treated tap water.

Pretty basic stuff, if you've been keeping fish for more than a few minutes.

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
Buddy I bet I have been keeping fish longer then you have been alive!!!! I don't think I need to learn anything about filtration!!!!
Worst response ever. Especially when your "knowledge" is being steadily picked apart by people with common sense. Just to clarify it is you opinion that the tank went through a full nitrogen cycle in around 4 hours?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Chris - again, don't believe everything that you read on an online based article. Not all fish are stressed out by large water changes, in fact, many species have spawned for me before I could even complete a large water change. Sound like stressed fish to you? :)

The article that you linked is full of nonsense.
Agreed.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
That is so funny you would say that... I swear as I was reading some of the things people wrote on here I was thinking the same exact thing!!!! WOW..... I don't know maybe I am wrong and you guys have perfect crystal clear stream water running through your water pipes and they don't add any chemicals to clean it and kill the bad stuff off, But where I live they get our water out of the muddy Maumee river and run it through 2 different water cleaning plants to clean it and then add a million and one different chemicals to it to kill any kind of micro bacteria, algae or any other living things left in the water that the filters did not get out.. And believe it or not these chemicals that are made to kill bacteria will kill it rather it is in the water treatment plant or your fish tank filter... THATS WHAT IT IS MADE TO DO... I bet you will next tell me real hot or real cold water will not kill the bacteria in your filter either right?? Now I understand why my fish love me so much and I can keep the fish that everyone else says they can't and I never have a problem with them!!!!
Lol this is why you use dechlorinator or a carbon block filter like I do on my drip. What part of that do you not understand? Not once have I or or the op mentioned not conditioning the new water. Each keeper has their own set of local water conditions to deal with and getting a water report is the best place to start. Then, you can decide how to "treat" your new water. You should study carbon block filters before you make assumptions about things you obviously don't understand.

I only use cold water as well as my local conditions here in Florida have cold water coming out of your tap around 76 degrees or so.

I also don't believe everything I read online. I go my personal experience and spawning activity and health is all the proof I need.

Sorry, but you're misinformed my friend. As long as your water is treated you can change as much as you want and or need. And considering Discus are one of the more delicate species, how do you think breeders and hobbyists get by with the immense amount of water they change? Conditioning, aging and matching temps.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
Buddy I bet I have been keeping fish longer then you have been alive!!!! I don't think I need to learn anything about filtration!!!!
I think you do. Im 45 and I learn new things about this hobby daily. Never miss an opportunity to learn at any age.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
wow, I know what it is like to be old and full of misinformation. Lol.
I got my first tank in the 60's, and was firmly taught the same ultra-precautionary, minimalist water change instructions that you are arguing for here. That advice was due to the assumption that many hobbyists may not even pre-condition new water correctly for the cities' chemical treatments, and certainly would not match the new waters' ph or temperature to their existing tank conditions.
Most people would also clean all their filters at same time as water changes, so no doubt that advice prevented a lot of losses at the time..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store