pink tailed chalceus

middle

bleekeri starry night cichlid
Tomocichla asfraci

bottom

chameleon whiptail catfish
Rainbow wolf fish
ranchu goldfish

I did some research on monster fish that are compact, not overtly aggressive and can live in subtropical temperatures. It was sad scratching the oscar, managuense, bichir, and odoe pike off my list :.>
Have you guys ever had problems with any of the fish on the list going psycho or dying when the heat went out?
I don't own any of them yet except for the ranchu, who's getting a little too fat for the 36 gallon and keeps bumping into everyone else.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Welcome to the forum!
To start off blunt, that stock wouldn’t last minutes.
After the goldfish becomes an easy snack, it leaves the rest of the fish to have a battle Royale to see who gets to survive. Most of those fish are well known for being aggressive in small spaces (cichlids) or predatory (wolf, cuda, pike).
The wolf and goldfish are also the only two that won’t eventually outgrow the tank (whether sheer size, producing too much waste, need for swimming space, or a combination of those).
My recommendation would be to look into smaller fish species if you are interested in a community. There are many cichlids in the 4-6 inch range that would do very well in that size tank along with a shoal of dither fish and bottom feeders.
Alternatively, if you are looking for a predator, get a shoal of exodon tetras OR stick with the red wolf fish, but note that either will not be able to live with much more than armored catfish (even then there is a chance of failure).
I don’t know bichirs too well, but both senegal and Delhezi would do fine in that size tank.
At the end of the day, it’s all about picking the right fish that do well with each other.

TheTerminutter

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2023
This has to be a troll post
Hey man, I did put some thought and reasoning into my stock list.
The top dwellers won't bother the bottom dwellers, as long as I feed them well. Also, they're not true barracuda or pikes, they're both characins that get under a foot long.
The mid dwellers are cichlids that get along with other fish provided that said fish is not the same species, nor look like them.
They both also usually get under a foot long.
The 8 inch Red wolf fish is the least aggressive wolf fish species, and the reason I chose it over the smaller 6 inch purple wolf fish. From what I've heard, wolf fish tend to be friendly with fish that aren't the same species.
The ranchu look nothing like the cichlids or the wolf fish. I heard that puffers get along with cichlids because they don't even register in the cichlids mind as a "fish", so I applied the same logic to him.
Also, the cooler temperatures will ease aggression in the tank.

In theory that makes sense, doesn't it? But just in case reality doesn't follow the logic, I just need some monster fish keepers who've had experience, not theory, to point out some faults in my plan.

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
75 gallon is not a lot. And defiantly not enough for bigger fish.

if i just google:
spotted pike characin - 100gallon needed
red tail baracuda - 250 ∗ 90 cm 300 gallons recommended
pink tailed chalceus - 60 gallon minimum
Bleekeri Cichlid -120gallon recommended

whiptail catfish - 145 gallon needed
Rainbow wolf fish- i keep those fish alone in a tank, not really compatible with otherfish. (30 gallon needed)

goldfish? those are coldwater fish and should not be kept with these fish at all

this is just a quick google on your fish.
I was wondering ,u said u did research? It does not seem like that to me at all. Sorry but this is a terrible stocking list.

Rainbow wolffish are agressive and will probably kill everything that is not robust and looks a bit similair. If you wane keep wolffish, keep them alone. (i do know that some people keep them with other fish but you have to be lucky. I would not risk it)
I would go with either only ranchu goldfish in a coldwater tank. Or go with monster fish but rethink every fish you mentioned, since most are not able to thrive in 75gallon.

What are the measurements of the tank and what pumps u have? How many percentage are you gone change every week?

I would probably go with something like: (your tank is even on the small side for these fish)
- hejuta gar 2x (looks like the other fish you mentioned but stays smaller)
- cichlids 2x (but smaller) maybe convicts?
-catfish 2x (hoplo?) or something that stays quite small.

or
- 1 rainbow wolfish

or
-3/5 ranchu goldfish

Last edited:

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Hey man, I did put some thought and reasoning into my stock list.
The top dwellers won't bother the bottom dwellers, as long as I feed them well. Also, they're not true barracuda or pikes, they're both characins that get under a foot long.
The mid dwellers are cichlids that get along with other fish provided that said fish is not the same species, nor look like them.
They both also usually get under a foot long.
The 8 inch Red wolf fish is the least aggressive wolf fish species, and the reason I chose it over the smaller 6 inch purple wolf fish. From what I've heard, wolf fish tend to be friendly with fish that aren't the same species.
The ranchu look nothing like the cichlids or the wolf fish. I heard that puffers get along with cichlids because they don't even register in the cichlids mind as a "fish", so I applied the same logic to him.
Also, the cooler temperatures will ease aggression in the tank.

In theory that makes sense, doesn't it? But just in case reality doesn't follow the logic, I just need some monster fish keepers who've had experience, not theory, to point out some faults in my plan.
no it does not make sense.

colder temperatures make aggressive fish less aggresive? no not at all, keeping fish in bad conditions makes them die earlier. Having less warmth makes coldblooded animals less active, but that does not mean its good for the fish. Please dont keep tropical fish in cold water since you think it makes them less aggressive.

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
Your tank will be incredibly overstocked. It's okay to make mistakes like this, we all do it when we first start off, so here's some advice I can offer.
You are mostly right with your theory, but here is where I have issues
1. Cooler temps will not ease aggression. Don't know where you got that idea. Also cold water fish are often very aggressive. Murray cod, pike, bass, redfin for example.
2. Sure the "pikes/barracudas" are not actually as the name says, but those fellas are skittish as hell. A 6x2x2ft wouldn't even be good for a chalceus. One sharp movement outside of the tank, and he's gone flying into the side of the tank and shattered his spine. There is not a chance on earth any of those skittish, extremely fast fish will survive in a tank that small. They will kill themselves.
3. The goldfish are going to have their fins nipped, and harassed to death. Basically every fish besides the whiptail and chalceus are gonna attack those slow moving fat floating lumps.
4. Sure the red wolf is the least aggressive wolf fish. The Borneo elephant is the smallest elephant species, but it is still giangantic. Case in point with the red wolf, they are still aggressive as heck.
5. Those cichlids won't have enough space to have their own territories. They will attack any other fish that enters there space. A 75 gallon is probably an extremely small Starry night's domain. They will beat the crap out of stuff
6. The other fish will stress out the top dwellers, and they will probably ram into the side of the tank.

Also, you haven't given stocking numbers per species
1. Chalceus like to be in groups, otherwise they will be even more skittish and more likely to kill themselves.
2. The cichlids will become super aggressive when breeding

To finish this off a have a little analogy for you.
If you have a room (10ftx10ft) with a tonne of teenage boys in it, and only open the window/door once a week, it's going to reek, even though you have fans running in the room.
This is the case with your planned tank. Small tank, Too many fish and one filter, sure its a good one, but still, that is a LOT of ammonia.
Continuing on with the analogy, what if most of the boys were crazy ADHD, one was a big bad bully who beat people up and then a couple innocent little kids for them to pick on.
That is your tank.

Finally, there will be literally no room for the fish to move in this tank without bashing into another fish.
As I stated at the start, it's okay to make mistakes. We all do. But please don't actually do this once you have been advised not to!

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
You could put a pinktail in with your ranchu in one of the 75g. Ime PTC usually like cooler temps so its actually not a bad pairing. It could be an interesting tank with just a bumbling goldfish and frenetic PTC bolting around. 75g is cramped for a full grown PTC though.

Just one of those cichlids could be okay in a 75. Again, full grown paratilapia will be cramped though.

Maybe just the red wolf in the last 75g. You could experiment with hardy tankmates like barbs or the like, but just be prepared to lose them. Ive never kept wolffish so this is just how i would proceed in uncharted waters.

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store