How has the coronavirus affected your personal life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Well I saw a few of my grandchildren this week, for the first time since the panic started in March. My eldest grandchild is in college and just turned 20. I have two more entering college next month.

We really have not had it that bad in this county, but they have canceled all of our social activities and holiday treats, as if it were.

There are normally some very large fireworks displays, big cookouts, and patriotic parades but that will not happen this year. I expect that they will cancel our annual Civil War battle reenactment as well.

I did watch the president’s speech, and the early fireworks display from Mount Rushmore was mighty awesome.

Being only a block from the local football stadium we usually get to see the fireworks very close up from our own backyard. But this year I guess we will be satisfied with this, and thank our lucky stars.

Snakeheadred

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2020
Giggleinton
Well over the lock down. I decided to git back in to fish tanks my brother in law started with a little 200l with your tetras pleco sailfinsu no that kind of Joby then we picked up his 350 sum Oscars silver dollars tapjos pleco an up side down then I picked up my tank had my fish all that so was good time for me to keep busy an got in to aqua scappin

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Have you got a dungeon in that mud hut you live in, that looks like some kind of torture device!
Maybe I'll hang some beef from it and make biltong :p

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I’m not sure how but a 30 minute drive turned into a 17 and 13 minute drive today.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Everyone scoffed the governor's lockdown and had family 4th parties all over California, according to reports.
Idiots were shooting off rockets after a month of 100f temps and not one good rain since April.
We're lucky the whole state didn't burn, shooting off $ millions in cheap junk with high defect rates.

It was the state's worst 4th ever for fire calls, with 211 fire calls in Fresno city and more in the county.
They had no men to roll on paramedic calls. Everyone was on a fire somewhere. At least one house and two garages were lost and several houses and many other structures suffered fire damage. We have a lot of firemen off or on quarantine due to the virus.

After a crazy Friday and Sat, Sunday was calm and by Sunday night everthing, and everyone was spent.
It was quiet and I crashed about 1am.

But I had been up past 3am Fri and Sat, staying outside on fire watch, hosing down trees, which were already suffering and dry. Waiting for the smell of burning twigs. There was lots of gunpowder in the air, but no houses burned in here in clovis.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee

Hello; I tried to find more current information about the possibility of the covid19 virus be transmitted as an aerosol. The attached link is the best I found so far. I have had suspicions along this line for a few months. As was pointed out in another thread my suspicions amount to nothing on their own. However now there are better qualified folks having the same suspicion. See the link. Granted the CDC and the WHO apparently have not included this possibility in their guidelines, so if you depend on them feel free to ignore my comments.

This presents an if -then situation. If indeed the virus is at least partially aerosol then some additional precautions might be needed. First what is the distinction and why it can matter. The general advice so far has been the virus is like most others in that when we cough or sneeze the virus can travel for around six feet or so attached on droplets which soon fall out of the air. That is the why we have been told to keep six feet apart inside or outside. If the covid19 is indeed aerosol that changes the case. Aerosol can mean the virus rides in the air as tiny particles and may persist for a long time, not just on the slightly heavier droplets. Maybe even hours.

To me this makes what can happen indoors different than the heavier droplets. Outdoors not so much difference. Say I am in a building or a car with a closed ventilation system (most central air systems are closed and cars AC can be). That means the air inside is recirculated over and over. That might mean virus particles breathed out by an infected person can linger in the air a long time.
At least two things might be done, maybe more. One is to have open windows or some other method in place to allow fresh air in and pull some of the inside air out. I tend to ride in a car alone so I can close the windows and run the AC, but if I ever need to ride with strangers I will insist on the windows being rolled down.
A second thing might be to wear a proper mask if the ride is short. But only if the ride is short. More on the mask later. I get that some will balk at a long ride in a hot car with the windows open or being a long time in a building with out the closed system AC running. Such things are survivable as that was the way I lived for several decades of my life. I was in my mid thirties when I got my first car with an AC. I was 62 when I got a house with central air.

Another thing I can do is to stay inside such closed space as briefly as I can. Not such a problem for me as a retired person who has the choice, but I can see how such might be a problem for others. If I ever needed to stay in such a place my next line of defense will be a good mask if I can find one. I am not certain but am fairly confident many of the masks I see people wear are fairly transparent to aerosol virus particles. A simple cloth bandana or single layer cloth mask might give some protection but I do not figure much protection. I hope the N-95 type masks will soon be available. I bought one of the Mission neck gator things a few days ago. After wearing it I now figure it is of little value.

I have more to say but will stop for now to see if this sort of discussion will be allowed. If we can further discuss such things more later then

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
This is an important development, thank you for sharing. We can be grateful that this is not as damaging as Ebola though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store