How has the coronavirus affected your personal life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Fully vaccinated people can still contract COVID because immunization doesn't last forever, the three vaccines are different (especially the one-shot-J&J one vs. the the two mRNA ones) and not all people have full immunity (like my friend who survived cancer).

Someone I know got vaccinated in December. He's "fully vaccinated" but does he have the immunity that someone who became fully vaccinated a few weeks ago does? Not sure. That's why there are clinical trials going on as we speak both to see how long the initial immunity lasts (vs. variants) and whether boosters will likely be needed.

Many of the breakthroughs I've heard (including a group of Dodgers) had taken the J&J vaccine. Much milder symptoms for most than full blown COVID but still cases.

The fact remains that our country is awash in COVID and vaccine misinformation and that about half of the country isn't fully vaccinated. Sadly. Our lives, economy, etc. won't be relatively back to normal unless we reach 80+% vaccination. Even if people think that they're stronger than the virus or act like it doesn't exist.

All of life is an experiment. The only thing certain is the final outcome.

I work as an electrician; everything I do at work is based upon electrical theory. Operative word: theory. None of it has been or can be proven; no one has ever seen an electron, nobody can conclusively prove that they even exist. Endless experiments and observations have led us to construct theories which are usepredict what the outcome of various actions will be...but we can't actually be certain of any of it.

Your doctor deals with the practice of medicine. He may be very skilled but he doesn't actually know what he is doing; he is just practicing.

I just read that story linked a couple of posts up, regarding fully-vaccinated Louisiana residents dying "from Covid". Like most journalism, this amounts to one guy telling us all what he claims he thinks another guy said. In this case, it is stated once that these people died "of Covid", but it is stated twice that they died "with Covid". Hmmm...I wonder how many of them died while driving their cars? They finally snap while listening to yet another Covid story on the radio, begin frenziedly pummeling the radio in the dashboard, don't watch the road and plow into the back of a garbage truck. Would that be listed as a death due to Covid? Or perhaps Covid complications? I'd even bet that the death of the garbage truck driver...oops, sorry, "sanitation engineer"...would also be attributed to Covid.

We need a zombie apocalypse sooner rather than later...

Believe what or who you want regarding Covid. Your beliefs, convictions and biases are irrelevant, except to you. Now, before poor fishhead0103666 fishhead0103666 looks at the monster he birthed when creating this thread and has a stroke...maybe we should move on to something less incendiary like...oh, I dunno...aquarium fish? :)

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
My hypothesis is so far that a vaccinated person testing positive may only have some virus present in the nasal area.
Again, I know a number of people, fully vaccinated for 4-6 months, working in health care, that have tested positive - and displayed active symptoms. These are real people, and real world results - no hypothesis involved. Sore throat, runny nose, fever, and COUGHING. I reckon that during the few days that these hospital workers were actively displaying symptoms, those folks were shedding plenty. One would have to ignore 100+ yrs of science to even consider the possibility of otherwise.

I think that Duane said it best:
Cherry picking science to fit ones ideology seems a fools errand to me.

Personally I have no issue with those that make different personal choices than mine. At my age and with my life experiences I am used to dealing with all walks of life. Do as you see fit, all I ask is that those that don't want to get vaccinated, and don't want to take simple precautions, for whatever reason, stay clear of me & mine. That's my personal choice. So far I have only had to auto-correct a few folks regarding personal space, and my personal choices. Not all of us in Canada are nearly as polite as we are often represented on TV.

Reactions: dogofwar and deeda

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
This thread has become a vector for misinformation about the vaccine.

We would have polio and other diseases in this country still were it not for them. mRNA vaccines have been developed for similar diseases for more than a decade. There is lots of science behind them and no reason to not take it.

I don’t see any purpose for perpetuating this line of discussion. Social media spreading misinformation and conspiracy theories is bad for public health.

• Love
Reactions: robmcd

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee

We would have polio and other diseases in this country still were it not for them. mRNA vaccines have been developed for similar diseases for more than a decade. There is lots of science behind them and no reason to not take it.

I don’t see any purpose for perpetuating this line of discussion. Social media spreading misinformation and conspiracy theories is bad for public health.
Hello; There are two distinct areas in your post. One appears to be you do not want people to post opinions/facts that are different from opinions you favor. I recall way back over a year ago some wanting the same thing. Best I can recall I stated that I figured the virus had an aerosol component in addition to the cough/sneeze droplets and some did not want me making such posts. As it turned out the virus did and does have an aerosol component. Eventually the authorities stated such. That is an example of a reason to not restrict open discussion on this site. Contrary opinions are not always incorrect and should have a place. If I or others state an opinion or present facts contrary to what you agree with, then you can refute with evidence of your own.

The second area is that we have been told we can have such discussions as long as we keep it civil. Many of us can manage to state opinions or present fact and remain civil. No need to censor an entire discussion because from time to time someone posts an opinion others do not agree with. Point out what you find questionable and we will listen to you.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
a number of people, fully vaccinated for 4-6 months, working in health care, that have tested positive - and displayed active symptoms. These are real people, and real world results - no hypothesis involved. Sore throat, runny nose, fever, and COUGHING. I reckon that during the few days that these hospital workers were actively displaying symptoms, those folks were shedding plenty.
Hello; This raises some questions. One is about how effective particular vaccines are. This could indicate some vaccines are not as effective as we are being told. That is one question.

I think these cases are called breakthru cases. The next question has to do with how the vaccinated can be tested to be sure the symptoms displayed are not from some other cause that can cause similar symptoms. I do not intend to dispute that they have covid, just wonder if this possibility has been checked out? Is it possible the symptoms are from some other cause?

Last two questions are do the vaccinated who get infected with covid fare better than the unvaccinated and do you know which vaccine allows more such cases? This will make a difference.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
A few of us keep trying to point people to rigorous, non-partisan, science-based sources of info like the CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

Reactions: Poseidon2.0

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
These have been floating around FB recently:

1626807185291.png

1626807199363.png

I'm afraid it is going to get a lot worse before it gets better. Hardly anyone is wearing masks in my little community where only a small percentage has been vaccinated. Forty new cases in the last 14 days. Governor is facing recall, so he probably won't be implementing a state wide mask mandate again. Everywhere I go, it looks like how it was before COVID 19 - no masks, no restrictions. Latest news articles are stating that around four million people may have died in India. Horrific problem happening in Indonesia right now.... 114 doctors have died of COVID-19 in July. https://www.reuters.com/business/he...umber-doctor-deaths-covid-19-july-2021-07-18/

No one is talking about the lambda variant that has been decimating Peru and Brazil. Brazil has 15,627,681 less cases than the USA, but only 82,121 less deaths than the USA.

I've come to the conclusion that people are going to believe what they want to believe. There are two camps juxtaposed against each other. One camp believes that COVID -19 is a serious problem and a real threat to the world. The other camp believes that COVID-19 is not serious, the vaccine is dangerous, and rights are being violated when mandates are issued and when their favorite prophet or pseudoscientist has his/her videos banned on the internet.

There are a lot of charlatans spouting their truth. How is Joe Blow from Kokomo going to decipher truth from everything he is bombarded with? Families are divided on these issues with feelings being hurt or out and out outrage by email exchanges, and yes, I am talking about my own family now. "A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still."

Here's my situation: my mother passed away in February. We have yet to hold a memorial service for her. I don't want any one to be put at risk. Will it ever be safe to do so? I don't know.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; The fact that a out of a small group of people who flew out of Texas six are now infected with covid is concerning. Seems all were fully vaccinated. Not sure if the strain of covid is published yet. If it turns out to be the delta variant, that will be worth knowing. Best case will be if the infections are mild a this should mean the vaccines are still partly effective.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I'm very sorry to hear about your mother, pacu mom pacu mom

Hello; This raises some questions. One is about how effective particular vaccines are. This could indicate some vaccines are not as effective as we are being told. That is one question.

I think these cases are called breakthru cases. The next question has to do with how the vaccinated can be tested to be sure the symptoms displayed are not from some other cause that can cause similar symptoms. I do not intend to dispute that they have covid, just wonder if this possibility has been checked out? Is it possible the symptoms are from some other cause?

Last two questions are do the vaccinated who get infected with covid fare better than the unvaccinated and do you know which vaccine allows more such cases? This will make a difference.
They received Pfizer vaccines, x 2. They were tested via Govt regulated covid-19 testing, taken by an RN. A swab that goes up the sinus cavity until it feels like your brain is being tickled. Not one of the rapid tests. There is no second guessing as to what they had. Did they fare better than an unvaccinated person? I would presume so, the science regarding that seems fairly clear, even healthy as horse individuals, that are unvaccinated, overall seem to suffer longer, and worse symptoms, compared to those in the approx same healthy as a horse condition, that have been fully vaccinated. No matter ones view regarding the safety of vaccines, I think that it's rather clear that they are working to reduce the number of deaths, and visits to the hospital. That has certainly been the case in the Province where I live, as well as most of Canada. Is there anywhere in the world where high vaccination rates do NOT = lower death rates, and lower hospital visits due to covid illness? Have I been missing something?

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Bingo! Here we go..... Buckle your seat belts everybody. We may be in for a very rough ride. I'm afraid it's going to be lambda lambda lambda soon. I hope I am wrong.

• Wow
Reactions: deeda
Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store