How to deal with Angelfish Aggression?

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Hey all,

So recently i made the mistake of giving away one of my angelfish pairs to a friend and as a result of these 2 fish gone, there is a lot of aggression, torn fins and fighting. I originally had 10 angels in a 75 gallon and so the aggression was less on each fish, but with two dominant fish gone, it seems the other angels are getting bullied and several more aggressive pairs have turned on each other. It also doesn't help that i have 2 pairs trying to breed at the same time. Obviously as my angels grow (they've practically doubled in size since I've got them), I have to start rehoming them and I am open to doing so! However, I would like to know whether rehome 2 more (a pair) would cause more damage than help since even less fish to spread the aggression with. I would like to have a group of angels so I would rather not have just 1 pair of angels in the tank. Additionally, would like to keep a couple of pairs since I'm hoping to raise some angelfish fry soon! Please advise me on what to do next!

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Angels are magnificently beautiful in the way they move and look, especially with all the new color morphs available. They are an absolute nightmare when it comes to pairing. Any keeper of angels will tell you start with multiples so that you have the greatest chances of having a pair. What they do not tell you is once that happens you will need to rehome everybody else. I to am currently going through this as I gave all but 3 angels to a buddy. I have a loner of the 3 in with my L104s because they won't let him in the tank with them.

Reactions: Rayfishowner

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Angels are magnificently beautiful in the way they move and look, especially with all the new color morphs available. They are an absolute nightmare when it comes to pairing. Any keeper of angels will tell you start with multiples so that you have the greatest chances of having a pair. What they do not tell you is once that happens you will need to rehome everybody else. I to am currently going through this as I gave all but 3 angels to a buddy. I have a loner of the 3 in with my L104s because they won't let him in the tank with them.
Yep its really sad lol since I love how graceful they are in a group :(. I think my goal is the remove the bully pair and see if the remaining ones will work well. Also may add some dither fish like rainbows or smaller cichlids like keyhole/cupid ciclids

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Yep its really sad lol since I love how graceful they are in a group :(. I think my goal is the remove the bully pair and see if the remaining ones will work well. Also may add some dither fish like rainbows or smaller cichlids like keyhole/cupid ciclids
Good luck, I moved my 2 into a 120 and tried moving the 3rd wheel at the same time with 2 severums to see if I could but that lasted 5min.

Reactions: Rayfishowner
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store