Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Hey all,

I currently have a 14 inch Nigerian lapradei bichir. I will be moving it to a separate tank in the near future and just wanted some insight on how most of y’all move it. Because my tank has plants, rocks, and driftwood, I don’t want to ruin the scape or hurt the fish. What is the best way to move such fish and what do you guys use? The bichir is outgrowing the net I have for it and I’m trying to decide before I get a larger net if any members have other techniques. Thanks! Also here are some photos of the lap :)

6EAFA8EB-A0B4-419D-B2FE-7B5864E5FC42.jpeg

5EF0D02B-DDE7-4F12-BF23-65DEAED3AB1B.jpeg

EBDD4954-DA4F-4258-9E99-8173702672D3.jpeg

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
Beautiful polypterus, get 2 large nets on either side of him, it will be a lot easier. Once he is out of the water support his bodyweight while you move him, dont just let him flop around in the net. They are very tough fish and he will be fine.

Where did you purchase him from, if you don't mind me asking?

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Th
Beautiful polypterus, get 2 large nets on either side of him, it will be a lot easier. Once he is out of the water support his bodyweight while you move him, dont just let him flop around in the net. They are very tough fish and he will be fine.

Where did you purchase him from, if you don't mind me asking?
Thanks for the advice will try that out! I got the lap from a lfs in my area. I’m from NJ. It was around 10-11 inches then (3-4 years ago) and was sold as a palmas bichir for $50. I was able to snag this at an even better deal as they wanted it gone anyway so paid around $40 for it. Not bad if I say so myself lol. Anyway it’s been a pretty slow grower but has finally started to put on some size in the past few months after getting it on massivores!

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
Th

Thanks for the advice will try that out! I got the lap from a lfs in my area. I’m from NJ. It was around 10-11 inches then (3-4 years ago) and was sold as a palmas bichir for $50. I was able to snag this at an even better deal as they wanted it gone anyway so paid around $40 for it. Not bad if I say so myself lol. Anyway it’s been a pretty slow grower but has finally started to put on some size in the past few months after getting it on massivores!
would it happen to be the aquarium center? I'm from MD but occasionally travel to NJ for work.

Reactions: Rayfishowner

Burbotman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Canada
Giant ziploc bags with some holes punched in them . Direct the fish into the bag close up. Lift up and let water drain until you can lift out and put in transfer container. Very little stress on the fish

Reactions: Rayfishowner

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
Giant ziploc bags with some holes punched in them . Direct the fish into the bag close up. Lift up and let water drain until you can lift out and put in transfer container. Very little stress on the fish
Wow this sounds like a great idea. I’ll def try this out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store