Hybrid genetics, how size and mutations are passed, etc...

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
I have a lot of questions on this.
I'll start with the passing of mutations.
for example, you can cross a marbled convict cichlid and a honduran red point, and the offspring would be marbled.
my questions come from the other mutations.
I'm not too sure how genes like leucistic or 'platinum' would be passed, but I know it's recessive, so most likely the f1 hybrids would just be regular hybrids carrying the leucistic gene, then they would have to be crossed with the leucistic parent for the f2 hybrids to be visually white. this may be true, as I have seen electric blue acaras crossed with green terrors. the electric blue gene is recessive, and the offspring just came out as visual wild colored hybrids, carrying the electric blue gene.
I'm also not too sure about the genetics of short bodied fish, if anyone can tell me how that or the leucistic gene actually work, that would be helpful.
now to things like size and color. say you somehow manage to cross a jack dempsey and a convict, or something smaller than the dempsey. how would the size be passed on? would the offspring be big like the dempsey, small like the convict, or inbetween?
and other riskier things like hybridizing unknown species. sounds dumb but intrigues me.
I have an unknown species of acara. she's a pretty little thing, a bright orange with long white ventral fins, blue eyes and a white band between them. she's also pretty expensive...
one thought that came to mind was what would happen if I crossed her with an electric blue acara.
what I would intend to happen with that would not be as time efficient as I'd like it to be.
for one, I can't just be quick, get a EBA, cross him with my female, let them rear the fry and sell the EBA. no.
if I wanted a golden acara with iridescent scales, I'd have to keep the electric blue acara for awhile. problem with that is electric blue acaras grow quite large. only good part about that is they grow painfully slow.
I would have to cross the EBA with my rio esmeraldas gold female, keep the fry and rear at least one female to a breeding size, cross her with her father and that would make an iridescent scaled, golden acara.
many problems come with this though.
- I don't know how big my rio esmeraldas gold acara is going to get. I've had her for a year, she's grown about an inch and is still getting bigger. thus, I will not know how big the hybrid fry would get.
- I know rio esmeraldas gold fry grow pretty fast, but then EBA fry grow extremely slow. I don't know how growth rates translate over to hybrid fry.
- I don't know how big the male EBA would be by the time one of his offspring get to breeding size.

this was all just an idea of mine but you can kind of see where I question things.
main questions:
1. how do color/body mutations pass with hybridization
2. how does size pass with hybridization
3. how do growth rates pass with hybridization

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store