Hydro heater problems HELP PLS MY FISH ARE BAKING ALIVE!

Goldenburd

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2018
Usa Pennsylvania
So my hydor heater in my 55
Was set to 79 degrees F° and thermometers whers reading 91.3 F° and i though my thermometer was acting up but no every thermometer i put in the water it read 90 degrees F° so im confused so i turn the heater down 71 to see if it turned off and i did but no guarantee it stopped heating . Should i pull the plug on it or keep it till i can get a heater? Stocking is 1 RBP (red bellie piranha) and 2 plecos and snails also an exdon. Also it winter here so im stuck and i don't want to pull the heater from the 30 gallon because of the cichlid and the loach but if i have to i will. Pls help. Also suggest a good heater that actually works

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I had a Hydor In line heater fail in the "on" position, got so hot the PVC started to sag, if I wouldn't have caught it, it would have melted the plumbing.
After that, I preferred to get 2 or 3 undersize heaters per tank, in the case that one sticks "on", in hope that the other thermostats would shut down, or if one fails in the "off" position, the others would make up the difference.

Reactions: Fat Homer

Goldenburd

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2018
Usa Pennsylvania
I had a Hydor In line heater fail in the "on" position, got so hot the PVC started to sag, if I wouldn't have caught it, it would have melted the plumbing.
After that, I preferred to get 2 or 3 undersize heaters per tank, in the case that one sticks "on", in hope that the other thermostats would shut down, or if one fails in the "off" position, the others would make up the difference.
Currently im strugglong with money so idk what to get something that lasts and works

Goldenburd

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2018
Usa Pennsylvania
UPDATE turned the heater down to 71 to see if it turned off it did but im unsure if it will turn back on? Im legit probably going to stay up all night to make sure my pirhana doesn't die if he dies ill be right next to him to comfort him and i see my own fish that i treat like a son die infront of me while i could of got a different heater. But they all seem perfectly fine but i tested 3 thermometers and they all said 90 so idk

Goldenburd

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2018
Usa Pennsylvania
S
UPDATE turned the heater down to 71 to see if it turned off it did but im unsure if it will turn back on? Im legit probably going to stay up all night to make sure my pirhana doesn't die if he dies ill be right next to him to comfort him and i see my own fish that i treat like a son die infront of me while i could of got a different heater. But they all seem perfectly fine but i tested 3 thermometers and they all said 90 so idk
Sorry im just really upset about this

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store