I am a believer!

Burbotman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Canada
Fellow Poly keepers, if you haven't read RD's thread on probiotics in the fish disease and health forum I highly suggest you do.

Late last year I came across the thread and started dosing my tank with Septobac (same as ridex)

My brutally overstocked and over fed 180g is maintained by 2X FX5's and one 2217. Canisters are cleaned on a rotating schedule with each one getting done every 6 months typically when I open up a filter it is pretty bad for sludge.

Today was the first canister clean since I started the probiotics......... Un real, the canister was still in great shape after 6 months of heavy feeding.

So Probiotic health benefits and better filter performance = WIN

image.jpeg

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
Last edited:

ocellatus

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2006
Canada
Fellow Poly keepers, if you haven't read RD's thread on probiotics in the fish disease and health forum I highly suggest you do.

Late last year I came across the thread and started dosing my tank with Septobac (same as ridex)

My brutally overstocked and over fed 180g is maintained by 2X FX5's and one 2217. Canisters are cleaned on a rotating schedule with each one getting done every 6 months typically when I open up a filter it is pretty bad for sludge.

Today was the first canister clean since I started the probiotics......... Un real, the canister was still in great shape after 6 months of heavy feeding.

So Probiotic health benefits and better filter performance = WIN

View attachment 1247222
Wow, no kidding. My fx5 filters only start to look that good after 5 minutes of rinsing.
Absolutely will have to check RD's thread.

O

Reactions: Matteus

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86
thats because we're swapping out the socks soo frequently debris doesnt build up. I still dose modt of the tanks though.

Another benefit is not having to clean the substrate or gravel vac. Waste breaks up and gets sucked into the sump/filters

When i was using cans...the probiotic was a life saver

Polyaddict86

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 1, 2016
Yey bay bay
Polyaddict86 Polyaddict86
thats because we're swapping out the socks soo frequently debris doesnt build up. I still dose modt of the tanks though.

Another benefit is not having to clean the substrate or gravel vac. Waste breaks up and gets sucked into the sump/filters

When i was using cans...the probiotic was a life saver
That is true, plus i think its you that mentioned that the ridx helps with the bb?

Reactions: jaws7777

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
Septobac is a Spector tank product correct?

This is really interesting. As long as the bacteria don't pose a threat to the fish, it's a great way to keep the filters cleaner.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Septobac is a Spector tank product correct?

This is really interesting. As long as the bacteria don't pose a threat to the fish, it's a great way to keep the filters cleaner.
It actually benefits the fish. Acting as a probiotic and out competing harmful bacteria.
Better expland by rd in the thread

Reactions: Matteus and magpie

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
That is true, plus i think its you that mentioned that the ridx helps with the bb?
Lol rd mentioned it in the thread. I couldnt think up something like this on my own if my life depended on it haha.

Breaking down gunk would help keep the biomedia cleaner and avoid clogging up the pores

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store