I don't know what the eff is wrong with my fish

Sarah J

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2018
Okay let me start by saying I know internal parasites can be common or are common with aquarium fish. Well, I have never dealt with it.
My water parameters are exactly where they need to be and don't really change.
I am not visibly seeing any parasites.

So, about 4-5 weeks ago I started noticing my EBA pair not eating. Yes. I sit and stare at my fish during feeding time. I watched them every day and just thought they no longer liked their live worms and bloodworms. I knew the female hated pellets but the male eventually stopped eating pellets as well. It took them 2-3 weeks but they started wasting. Their abdomen became more and more concave.

About a week ago, I noticed my septemfasciata (we'll call him Red) starting to be put off of food. This guy eats like a champ normally, only third behind my Chocolate and EBJD. Well now he is fully not interested and not eating.

I've become so engrossed in watching them that I may or may not be over-exaggerating my Blue Honduran convict and EBJD also starting to act strange.

And Captain Jack (my EBJD) is everything to me so once I noticed him attempting to eat and just spitting it back out, I knew something had to be done immediately.

Now, I know when fish spit out food trying to soften it, etc. But this happened a few feedings of tiny frozen bloodworms which he has never done before.

And my Jurapari is eating ravenously but his stomach is concave.

Red also started twitching today. He went to his cave and didn't even turn around and was just twitching at the entrance.

SOOOOO
I went to my fish store today and got some Levamisole and took my carbon out my filter to treat the ENTIRE tank. I gave the first dose today and will repeat next Thursday and the Thursday after that.

I guess I am curious if anyone has gone through something similar. If I should chalk it up to parasites even though I do not see the signs of Camallanus or such. I can not say honestly if I had noticed such worms because I did not know what to look for prior to my recent research. I do not notice white poop either really, just the mucous-like string coming from the anus. I'm just not there for all their excretions, just feedings. I don't know if I should just try this treatment and let it be.

I'll add that my other fish are showing no signs.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Were all the fish added at the same time, or have you been adding them a few at a time?
If you have been adding a few at a time, do you have a quarantine tank, and quarantine new comers?
Stress is the most common cause of disease.
Do all the fish get along or are there squabbles?
How big is the tank? how many fish?
How often do you do, and what is the average volume of your partial water changes?
Are the blood worms fresh when fed, they can carry some nasty bacteria if not in perfect condition.

Sarah J

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2018
I’ve raised the EBAs with my EBJD since February when they were all an inch . I have a 125g tank. It’s an extremely peaceful community. I do a 40g water change every week or two weeks when it’s hectic but only feed every other day. I try to clean as much detritus off the sand as I can. I introduced the Chocolate and Red about 2 months ago. They were not quarantined. I keep my tank at 78-80 degrees with a little aquarium salt. Everyone may not agree with that but it’s what I do. Only frozen bloodworms. The red wriggler earthworms are fresh that I raise in my own little farm:
My fish:
5in Chocolate
4in EBJD
3in septemfasciata
3in Santarem Severum
2.5in Jurapari
2.5in Festivum
2.5in Marble Convict
2in Blue Honduran Convict
4in Flagtail
5-arnoldichthys spilopterus (for top level)
Emperor pleco (3in)
Rio Negro pleco (2in)
4 Cory Cats

Sarah J

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2018
Forgot to mention my EBJD and the blue Honduran did eat today so less worried about them now

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Dont really have much input regarding the fish themselves, but if you need to treat for internal parasites, its probably best to soak their foods in some strong medicated tank water so that the fish can ingest the meds to really help kill anything nasty inside...

Soaking for at least 30min - 1hr to really ensure meds get absorbed at least a little bit...

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I won’t comment on the parasite part. I hope you get that worked out.
But... 40g once or twice a week isn’t enough imo. Especially For cichlids.
50% a week would be considered minimum. I like doing 75% to fin level every 5 days on all tanks regardless of stocking.
Not saying that’s the reason for your current issues, but having the freshest water possible is never a bad thing:)

Sarah J

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2018
I won’t comment on the parasite part. I hope you get that worked out.
But... 40g once or twice a week isn’t enough imo. Especially For cichlids.
50% a week would be considered minimum. I like doing 75% to fin level every 5 days on all tanks regardless of stocking.
Not saying that’s the reason for your current issues, but having the freshest water possible is never a bad thing:)
I don't disagree at all. I try to do as much as I can when I can. I don't have the perfect system set up right now seeing as how I keep tank water at 80 degrees. I have to set the kitchen faucet just right and use 5g buckets. So it's a lot of fun but I do it.

Sarah J

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2018
How are they doing now after Levamisole?
I can't tell. Red is just off. I'm about to do a big water change and get some of the salt out. I have another dose to give Wednesday and then next week so we shall see. I don't think its parasites but something is off with my babies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store