I think we are being persuaded by the wrong people

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
I guess the point I am trying to make is that the ice we are standing on right now isn't as thick as we would like to think. The second post on this thread by stone like fish was correct we don't really see it but these people just chip away. It is easy for them they pick a point people won't argue with like fish shipping. We all know a lot of fish perish here so lets clean that up no one argues bang they have a foot hold. Next might be the fish are over crowded in the stores well I guess that is right chip chip chip. We are losing our hobby and going along with it so subtle but that is how it works. How many of us read that PETA article on the capturing of salt water fish and thought wow that is terrible. If you were a fish they just set their hook now they only need to reel you in.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
The salt water fish industry is under threat. The argument against the collection of these fish is solely based on human emotion, not science.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
What part of the ornamental fish trade has Peta had any kind of affect on in North America?

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
The news regs proposed in Hawaii were in regard to shipping 1 fish in no less 1 gallon of water, no withholding of food/stomach purging prior to shipment and few others. These regs would only pertain to West Hawaii.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
The news regs proposed in Hawaii were in regard to shipping 1 fish in no less 1 gallon of water, no withholding of food/stomach purging prior to shipment and few others. These regs would only pertain to West Hawaii.
Isn't counter intuitive to not purge a fish before shipping?:confused::confused:

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Isn't counter intuitive to not purge a fish before shipping?:confused::confused:

Go figure. Obviously the people proposing these laws know very little about the act of shipping fish safely. It seems the laws are aimed at removing any profitability from the trade.

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
This thread is alive for sure. Do/think whatever make you happy yourself, the rest will fall into place. Bet you if any structural regulation happened it would happen slow and the first changes seemed positive at least, but if it did drastically change I bet you 3/4 of the ppl posting would break the rules anyway. Like I said, do whatever makes you happy and let others do the same, if Peta wanna protest let em protest, i think in the end they're gonna make themselves look stupid anyway. Meanwhile there are new successes in aquarium keeping every month, people are rendered speechless at some of the fish people keep, setups they build, the quantity and size of things, breeding, etc.

Fact of the matter is people pay to see animals: zoos, safaris, charters, aquariums, documentaries, animal shows, marineland... then factor in Petsmart, Petco, the little guys, the importers, the culture in some places... Too much money for this to ever go under, at least not in our lifetimes.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Go figure. Obviously the people proposing these laws know very little about the act of shipping fish safely. It seems the laws are aimed at removing any profitability from the trade.
I think this fits here.image.jpg

Reactions: suckerfish

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
Daveandmandy the attitude you showed s what will bring us down it doesn't effect me big deal. These groups live for that attitude. We also need to stop just thinking it is only PETA there are literly hundreds of groups. Probably the biggest concern for our US friends is the HSUS. They bring in over 100 million dollars every year to lobby your government for their agenda. Zoo's and aquariums were mentioned they are losing their battle to exist as we speak and don't even know it. Right at the moment I can't think of anything pet is doing with the ornamental fish trade but some group is working on a plan. Maybe we shouldn't be so selfish and just think of our life time but how about our children and grandchidren. As I mentioned earlier it is already happening in England are we really that far from it.
Here in Alberta most people think we can keep goverment agencies out of our yards and houses without a warrant. Not so get this Alberta Health Services officers can come on our property if they suspect there is a nuicance. A nuicance is defined as any thing that is harmful or could be harmful. Is a health risk or could cause a health risk. That technically means if they suspect you have a sharp knife in your house you no longer have any rights. Your house just became free game for them to inspect. This is off topic a bit but it is what fish keepers in England now deal with. My guess would be that WSPA has pushed for these laws. Fish keepers there probably used to say that will never happen in our life time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store