Ich ?or cloudy slime coat? or bacterial infection? Or fungal? Please help

Balake2424

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 28, 2019
Michigan
So I’ve got multiple different answers on what this is I just need someone who’s positive because I treated for ich and it does nothing at all but it sure looks like it . water temperature is 86 now I’ve added salt and ich x and this morning no sign of it disappearing no other fish has it in the tank but he keeps itching him self sure signs of ich right ? He’s in a 90 gallon with some Cichlids a clown knife and 1 other fire eel who has no spots what so ever my water is hard because my softener broke and alkalinity is high

11931710-4DE3-4680-B7D7-9EA3C074C5CD.jpeg

A6447539-0ECE-4C9A-A798-D4DBD8A61845.jpeg

26434F9C-41B1-4B70-9079-6584490DB627.jpeg

7CB85B17-ED8E-4421-BC10-1A5F25BA971B.jpeg

8DD35374-86AC-4DC5-846A-E1F660238E9A.jpeg

76C2945D-D2F4-48BA-94CF-27A4A9699C36.jpeg

64FFA5C0-E995-4D70-A1C4-D7B54533CD23.jpeg

96BA836C-C661-443B-A248-6E7B3C69B926.jpeg

7C5ECB92-0902-4B59-B45F-46FB27D7C02A.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Does look like ich. There pathogens that’ll look like ich too. How long (duration) did u treat for?

Reactions: Balake2424

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; yes to how long did you treat because it can take weeks to get rid of the parasite.
Also using two medications at the same time can be risky. It is my understanding some of the common medications treat in the same manner as salt = by osmotic pressure difference on the newly hatched parasite before they can attach to a fish.

I am curious if any other fish have the same look. If ich then going by the pictured fish the tank must have a massive infestation so other fish should be well infected.

Reactions: tlindsey

Balake2424

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 28, 2019
Michigan
Hello; yes to how long did you treat because it can take weeks to get rid of the parasite.
Also using two medications at the same time can be risky. It is my understanding some of the common medications treat in the same manner as salt = by osmotic pressure difference on the newly hatched parasite before they can attach to a fish.

I am curious if any other fish have the same look. If ich then going by the pictured fish the tank must have a massive infestation so other fish should be well infected.
Not a single fish in the tank has anyting like this and this spring upon him super fast and covered head to tail in 24 hours I got both fire eels the same day and the other one is spotless no marks at all the one with the spots is itching like crazy on anything he can I’ve been doing it 2 days but I ready symptoms should be subsiding and they are not

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
2 days that’s it but it should be getting better not worse right ?
Hello; No two days is not necessarily time for the infestation to subside. Here is my take on the sequence of events. There are three main stages of the parasite's life. We first see it as spot on a fish. This is the adult stage and it cannot be treated. The adult parasites attach to a fish and stay a while feeding on the fish. They are immune to treatment any treatment I know of. We just have to wait for the adults to die off on their own which can take several days.
Sometime after the adults are visible they produce eggs which fall into the water and I take it sink to the substrate. The eggs cannot be killed either. The eggs hatch in a few days.
When the eggs hatch the young parasites swim about looking for a host fish to attach to. This stage can be killed. The treatment many prefer is to add a sufficient amount of salt so there is a solution stout enough to kill this hatched stage. However the adults and eggs are not killed so the salt solution must be maintained for most likely weeks.

In fact as the adults leave the fish we should keep up with the salt for around ten days after the last spot is seen on a fish. This is so the eggs that have not yet hatched can have time to hatch.

The heat helps in speeding up the life cycle of the parasite so the process takes less time but it can still take weeks. That your fish is getting worse after two days can mean there are many eggs still hatching out.

If the other fish do not get the spots you may have some problem other than ich.

Balake2424

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 28, 2019
Michigan
Hello; No two days is not necessarily time for the infestation to subside. Here is my take on the sequence of events. There are three main stages of the parasite's life. We first see it as spot on a fish. This is the adult stage and it cannot be treated. The adult parasites attach to a fish and stay a while feeding on the fish. They are immune to treatment any treatment I know of. We just have to wait for the adults to die off on their own which can take several days.
Sometime after the adults are visible they produce eggs which fall into the water and I take it sink to the substrate. The eggs cannot be killed either. The eggs hatch in a few days.
When the eggs hatch the young parasites swim about looking for a host fish to attach to. This stage can be killed. The treatment many prefer is to add a sufficient amount of salt so there is a solution stout enough to kill this hatched stage. However the adults and eggs are not killed so the salt solution must be maintained for most likely weeks.

In fact as the adults leave the fish we should keep up with the salt for around ten days after the last spot is seen on a fish. This is so the eggs that have not yet hatched can have time to hatch.

The heat helps in speeding up the life cycle of the parasite so the process takes less time but it can still take weeks. That your fish is getting worse after two days can mean there are many eggs still hatching out.

If the other fish do not get the spots you may have some problem other than ich.
Thanks for the knowledge. so my main question would be do you know if I should be adding salt daily or every couple days or after every water change and if it’s not ich what else could it be ? Is there anything I can do to ease his itching

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Thanks for the knowledge. so my main question would be do you know if I should be adding salt daily or every couple days or after every water change and if it’s not ich what else could it be ? Is there anything I can do to ease his itching
Hello; Once you get to the proper amount of salt per gallon that amount needs to be maintained continuiously. If you do a WC then the salt must be added to the volume of the WC to keep the concentration high enough. Not added daily but kept constant overtime.

No there is nothing to do for the infected fish. The pictured fish has a heavy infestation and will be weakened by the parasite. There is also the chance of a secondary infection because the parasites leave wounds.

All I know to do is to keep the water aeriated because of the higher temps.

Reactions: LBDave

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee

Hello; the above link is to another thread currently active about ich. More useful information in that thread. I suggest you pay particular attention to anything duanes has to say.

GermanDude

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2014
Berlin
Hello, adding about 10 big dried catappa leaves can support healing or even prevent secondary fungal and bacterial infections and darkened water makes most fish feel more comfortable.
Fire eels are prone to skin diseases, will he live in the 90 for life?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store