Ich ?or cloudy slime coat? or bacterial infection? Or fungal? Please help

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
If u keep ur temps at 86 and salt at about 3%, consistent, for 3 weeks then it’ll cure itself. Follow the thread recommendations by Duanes...which ever way is easier for u to do then do it.

Reactions: Balake2424

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree with the others looks like ick.
I use salt,.... and to make sure I get the proper dosage I go by the weight of the salt, 3 lbs per 100 gallons, in some of the other methods like tsps per gallon you can end up shorting the dosage, and it is ineffectual.
It can be shorted because the salts grain size. The osmotic pressure must be a salinity of 3 ppt or slightly more, to kill emerging ick.
And 2 days is not enough to see results, you are no killing the spots on the fish, you are killing their young so it may tank up to 3 weeks of treatment.
If you wimp out on dosage, ick will probably kill all your fish, be prepared to close 1 or 2, and the longer you wait to treat, the more you may lose.
By the way, you can use any salt available, as long as its NaCl, (water softener salt, rock salt, table salt, any kind of NaCl salt (not epsom salt which is MgSO4)

GermanDude

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2014
Berlin
I fought ich successfully with 1/4 lbs per 100 gallons, while raising temps at 86 degrees.
Even twice within a couple of years.
Read about the recommendation on a veterenarians site.
Higher concentrations work for sure, but are they really necessary?
I have to admit, my fish were just slightly infected and I started treatment immediately.
But they lost the spots after 2 days, tretment lasted 2 weeks.

Reactions: Balake2424

Balake2424

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 28, 2019
Michigan
Hello; Once you get to the proper amount of salt per gallon that amount needs to be maintained continuiously. If you do a WC then the salt must be added to the volume of the WC to keep the concentration high enough. Not added daily but kept constant overtime.

No there is nothing to do for the infected fish. The pictured fish has a heavy infestation and will be weakened by the parasite. There is also the chance of a secondary infection because the parasites leave wounds.

All I know to do is to keep the water aeriated because of the higher temps.
Okay thank you very much I really appreciate everything
I agree with the others looks like ick.
I use salt,.... and to make sure I get the proper dosage I go by the weight of the salt, 3 lbs per 100 gallons, in some of the other methods like tsps per gallon you can end up shorting the dosage, and it is ineffectual.
It can be shorted because the salts grain size. The osmotic pressure must be a salinity of 3 ppt or slightly more, to kill emerging ick.
And 2 days is not enough to see results, you are no killing the spots on the fish, you are killing their young so it may tank up to 3 weeks of treatment.
If you wimp out on dosage, ick will probably kill all your fish, be prepared to close 1 or 2, and the longer you wait to treat, the more you may lose.
By the way, you can use any salt available, as long as its NaCl, (water softener salt, rock salt, table salt, any kind of NaCl salt (not epsom salt which is MgSO4)
Thanks very much for your input, I did what you did and added about 2 and a half pounds of salt for my 90 gallon I did that this morning everything took it very well and they are doing great the fire eel however now looks as if his slim coat is peeling off or skin is peeling or has some type of fungal infection as you can see if the pictures I’ve attached or is this just a part of ich

5569FB76-200C-4B97-A9B3-9DF0672BEAD1.jpeg

659B1B9B-A589-4203-9662-5EE161ED8F0A.jpeg

0889534F-138B-46B7-BA00-B15DF2E1B856.jpeg

D8B5AA27-533B-4575-BE31-E2179BDF8D0D.jpeg

E3097152-EC56-4D59-999A-01D51369197E.jpeg

BC898BC3-30AF-4C9B-95A3-8DF66A736E71.jpeg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
There is a chance (looking at the closer photos) that it could be velvet (Oodinum) which is treated the same way, with salt, or as mentioned, could have acquired secondary infections in the holes the ick parasite create in the fishes skin.
You should also bleach that net you had it in, some dormant cysts can sit dry for extended periods and reanimate when wet.
This fish arrived with a heavy load of ick.

below a shot two weeks or so later, after a salt treatment concentration of 3ppt (parts per thousand).
With no extra heat, by the way FYI sea water is 35 ppt (35 ics per 100 gallons..

Balake2424

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 28, 2019
Michigan
There is a chance (looking at the closer photos) that it could be velvet (Oodinum) which is treated the same way, with salt, or as mentioned, could have acquired secondary infections in the holes the ick parasite create in the fishes skin.
You should also bleach that net you had it in, some dormant cysts can sit dry for extended periods and reanimate when wet.
This fish arrived with a heavy load of ick.

below a shot two weeks or so later, after a salt treatment concentration of 3ppt (parts per thousand).
With no extra heat, by the way FYI sea water is 35 ppt (35 ics per 100 gallons..
Thanks for all the info man I had no idea unfortunately that infestation was so bad he died this morning he was struggling really bad all night and there was nothing I could do for him all the ich was basically gone his skin was just so messed up from the parasites, he was breathing very heavy gasping for air I did a water change but the damage from the ich was done I appreciate all the help big time man you helped me save all my other fish because they are still spot free living good

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Keep the treatment up for at least a week or two, just because you don't see spots, doesn't mean its gone.
Some fish are semi immune, but ick can attach to the inner gill membrane.

Reactions: skjl47

Balake2424

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 28, 2019
Michigan
Keep the treatment up for at least a week or two, just because you don't see spots, doesn't mean its gone.
Some fish are semi immune, but ick can attach to the inner gill membrane.
I definitely plannned on it ill go for awhile, Is it safe to keep that much salt in the tank at all time as a preventative?I’ll never put a fish straight from the store in with my main colony ever again I knew not to but they were completely fine and I’ve never had a problem from these guys

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Is it safe to keep that much salt in the tank at all time as a preventative?
Hello; Depends on the fish to a large extent. Some can handle elevated salt levels over time. As a preventative for future ich might be better to get a QT set up and keep new fish in it for 6 -8 weeks

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
I agree with Jeff, it depends on the fish, most African rift lake fish, or Central American fish can easily handle a 3 ppt salinity for months, although many Amazonian and some Asian species from rivers like the Mekong, Congo, or small mountain streams may not.
The alternative to totally eradicating ick, is having to treat the tank all over again if a relapse occurs.

Reactions: skjl47
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store