Ideas for an all Amphilophus tank....

zimmy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2010
Toronto, Canada
The hoga in the 300 is a pill. Really going at the next sized down fish. The hoga in the 75 however has started to accept its life in the smaller tank and seems pretty calm, lol

I had kept the one that was timid and more colorful in the 300 and its turning out to be a terror and the bad boy has turned good. Maybe I should swap them? I will let a bit more time pass. I dont see any major damage to the Petsmart devil at this point. At the growth rate of the devil compared to the Hoga, the dynamics could change soon. The devil is getting a nice little nuchal hump and putting on size much faster.

The hard part of this project has been the 'teenage' stage Im going through with these guys and will continue to go through for a bit. Adult amphs seem to mellow out much more.
Thanks for providing such regular updates. These posts and the one from Duanes on the previous page about the difference between lacustrine and riverine amphs are super helpful. I was going to add some hogas to the 8 midas I have but am going with other amphs instead because of the experience you’re sharing.

Reactions: DMD123 and Jexnell

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Thanks for providing such regular updates. These posts and the one from Duanes on the previous page about the difference between lacustrine and riverine amphs are super helpful. I was going to add some hogas to the 8 midas I have but am going with other amphs instead because of the experience you’re sharing.
I appreciate the learning experience too. I hadn’t thought of the hoga that way and it explains a lot. Not all amphilophus are created alike.

Kind of at a boring stage in my project with all the amphs being ‘tweens’ lol. Im sure there will be some interesting power plays when the fish are a bit bigger and more mature. Will continue the updates.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
A bit of unexpected amphilophus news for me, another type became available. But theres alway a catch.... this one really does not play well with others. It will likely be a solo wet pet in one of my garage tanks.

Its at my buddy’s house at the moment since lm still trying to get tanks set up.

Want to see whats coming? Teaser pics my friend sent over
E27E6D43-3708-48FD-BFF2-35944339B6E3.jpeg
Look at those chompers!
D601B7F2-09E9-4820-8319-F72E8B5A6871.jpeg
Yep a 5-6” Trimac is waiting for me.

M.C.Cichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2020
So this is an old picture of my tank. The big Pearsei, and het both aged out and passed away from old age. It looks pretty empty now. So its an 8' long, 24" wide, 30" tall, 300 gallon tank.

View attachment 1391695
Looking at what sbgbuddy sbgbuddy has going looks to have 7 big amphs in his tank, I was thinking of doing five...
Very nice set up! Not too much going on. A little color and the style of the tank ?

Reactions: DMD123

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Very nice set up! Not too much going on. A little color and the style of the tank ?
Thanks, trying for a simple look where the fish are the main attraction. I think my current decor may even be a bit simpler that picture. The mopani on the left side was replaced with a piece that was just a bit smaller.

M.C.Cichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2020
Thanks, trying for a simple look where the fish are the main attraction. I think my current decor may even be a bit simpler that picture. The mopani on the left side was replaced with a piece that was just a bit smaller.
Whoa! That Trimac is killer. I want on so bad but I don't have the space as of yet!

Reactions: Wharf

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Whoa! That Trimac is killer. I want on so bad but I don't have the space as of yet!
Yeah, when I was asking my buddy if he knew of anyone selling one, I was surprised to hear one was available. Then to have it be a confirmed male, a little on the bigger side, and turn out to be a looker was totally awesome! This has always been a 'wish fish' for me but I never had an 'extra' tank to house one. Im super excited for this one!

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
How big is he? Those guys are beautiful and that one is no exception!
My buddy says its about 5-6”. I swear I think he would keep him if it wasn’t for the fact he already has a 12”+ trimac of his own, lol.

I have to shuffle some tanks/fish to make room for it so it wont be home for a little bit. The trimacs home was to be the recently acquired 90 but ran into some problems with the tank. Will post some updates on that fiasco.

At the moment looking to move my arrowhead puffer into a 30 gallon and then a 65B would be available for the trimac until the replacement 90 comes in.

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Okay so here is the story of the tank situation. This whole project of having a amph tank in the 300 needed to have growout tanks to accomplish. Goal was to have two 75's available. One was set up already and the second was purchased from Petco on the half price sale. So $100 for a 75 gallon was pretty reasonable. Well I go to set up the 75 and find it has a crack in the middle of the bottom frame.
IMG_75.jpg

Petco was pretty awesome in that the sale was over, it was past 30 days and because they had no replacement they offered the 90 gallon in stock at the former sale price. So $100 more and I have a 90 gallon.

I went over that tank really well as did the Petco associate. Didnt see a thing. Get it home and in my well it garage I spot three cracks in the upper corners!
IMG_90.jpg

Petco says they have tanks coming in this Wednesday night and will pull the next 90 for me.

On another fun note was the fact the light fixture I ordered was also incorrect. I ordered a Beamswork EA LED which is supposed to be a full spectrum and I get a full white light inside box. So that replacement should be here today.

While the fish part of this project has been going pretty well, the support part with tanks has been a challenge. I keep reminding myself Im almost done and the fun part of the hobby can begin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jexnell
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store