Introducing new bichir to established bichir

Moaeltaile

Feeder Fish
Sep 9, 2018
Hello,

I've had a Senegal bichir for about 2 years in an aquarium with about 80 gallons of water. It's about 8 inches now. It has shown no aggression/predation of a variety of community fish, including small Corydoras.

I have been growing up an albino sen for a couple months now, and today put it in the 80 gallon. The albino sen is 4".

I have been monitoring the last couple of hours, and the 8" sen has been nipping at the albino sen when it enters the side of the tank that it usually chills in. I didn't see it bite the albino sen's face, however there is a small red mark on its snout, so I assume it got nipped. The albino sen keeps going back to that part of the tank and getting chased away with nips.

I'm concerned that the bigger sen could do significant damage to the smaller one. I am tossing up whether to put it back in the smaller grow out tank (20 gallon) until it's bigger, or if I should give it some more time to see if they figure out the heirarchy. Is there any advice more experienced sen keepers could provide?

The 80 gallon aquarium is planted with crypts and a large anubias, driftwood, a couple of caves, rocks. 2 angelfish, 3 corydoras (Emerald and sterbai). Two cannister filters (fx6 and cheaper brand). Temp about 26 degrees Celsius.

Where I live bichirs are incredibly rare and expensive, especially albinos, so I want to keep the smaller one alive and healthy!

Thanks

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Usually it’ll settle down and the nipping stops. Place more hiding places and plants. Hierarchy being established. If the albino loses a fin then move it. Just imo.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Well polys are a strsnge bunch seems the more the merrier. 2 is a crowd while 3 is company. Just watch for anything more then nips like kno4te kno4te said if some major damage happens or if the established one grabs the other and wont let go. Polys heal quickly and can regen lost fins if it come to that pull it out. But if you do it'll have to happen again. If you had 3 or 4 probably wouldn't be a problem.

Reactions: tlindsey

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
Agreed to wait it out a bit - nips are less of a worry than clamping down.

You might also consider changing your scape a bit, esp. around the area that the established Sen hangs out.

I hope it settles for you!

Sarahmander

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2018
San Diego
I have a Sen and a Del, both at about 4 in. I got the Del a couple days after I introduced the Sen to the tank. They don't fight, but they aren't buddies either. They keep to opposite sides of my 45gal and mind their own business. I hope they warm up to each other before the move to their 100 gal... should I get another one? They have been together half a month. Would a 100 gal with a 30 gal sump support 3?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I have a Sen and a Del, both at about 4 in. I got the Del a couple days after I introduced the Sen to the tank. They don't fight, but they aren't buddies either. They keep to opposite sides of my 45gal and mind their own business. I hope they warm up to each other before the move to their 100 gal... should I get another one? They have been together half a month. Would a 100 gal with a 30 gal sump support 3?
Yeah it'd support about 6-8 uj polys well. If you want to keep water quality high 4 and some dithers. Like stated previously polys like to be in by themselves or with at least 2 more. Not sure why but 2 polys seem more ready to fight then 3 or more. Ofcoarse there is always the possibility of getting a jerk but ive never had issues with most ujs.

francoisokennedy

Feeder Fish
Sep 9, 2016
Windhoek, Namibia
Hello guys... I had two senegal bichirs normal and albino. The albino ate a tyre track eel longer than it and than died, the normal senegal grew and grew its about 9cm now its in a 120 litre. I recently got 3 new bichirs about 4 cm albino and normal senegal as well as a delhezi. The delhezi just hangs at the top sort of wobbles when it swims... It has a horrible case of fin rot which I am medicating! (had it since the store). It also never seems to swim down, it did swim down and eat on the first day after that it just sorta floated or chilled on things - the heater knob the top of the filter. I later gave him a fake plant which he is not using. The senegals does not have this behavior as much though the behaviour does not bother me as much as that is what babies do why wont he swim down ever and why does he wobble... I can bother him and would wait till he swim away...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store