is food coloring safe for fish?

koizilla714

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2016
Planet Earth
Ingredients are 1) water, 2) phosphoric acid 3) sodium benzoate. Phosphoric acid may raise your phosphates a little, sodium benzoate is toxic but deemed safe for human consumption in small amounts. I would say food coloring is safe to add. Do a water change afterwards to remove it
that's what i thought, if it safe for human consumption then it should be safe for fish but just don't know how much is too little.

terrorG

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
why not just tetra aquasafe normally it does not disolve straight away. i use prime now but aquasafe (blue) OR easy balance (yellow with bits init sounds like orange juice but isnt) when i was a newb showed it a very little

Reactions: koizilla714

koizilla714

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2016
Planet Earth
why not just tetra aquasafe normally it does not disolve straight away. i use prime now but aquasafe (blue) OR easy balance (yellow with bits init sounds like orange juice but isnt) when i was a newb showed it a very little
That's a great idea. Water conditioner with color. Thank you so much

Reactions: terrorG

Royalbloodi

Feeder Fish
Jun 26, 2018
I would suggest the following:

Obtain a feeder fish.
Place in a small holding tank/container.
Add 2-3 drops of food coloring.
Wait to see the effects on the fish.

Not to say that all animals aren’t important, but I’d rather take my chances with a feeder fish than one of my large fish.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I would suggest the following:

Obtain a feeder fish.
Place in a small holding tank/container.
Add 2-3 drops of food coloring.
Wait to see the effects on the fish.

Not to say that all animals aren’t important, but I’d rather take my chances with a feeder fish than one of my large fish.
I'd be more worried about long term effects, mushrooms only kill you a while after you eat them..

troublesum

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2007
Astoria, NY
Dont they use food coloring to dye fish to make their colors brighter to sell for more $$.
I would think its safe but not worth the risk just to see water flow

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Dont they use food coloring to dye fish to make their colors brighter to sell for more $$.
In some places, but it's generally harshly frowned upon to Inject fish with dye

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Only after removing the slime coat with acid, not a good idea

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
Im thinking it's safe. I mean it's safe for us to consume foods with food coloring thus makes it safe for fishes also right?
No. You drink chlorine and/or chloramines in your water but need to remove it so it doesn't kill your fish.
Different chemicals have different effects on different species. Birds eat belladonna berries that would kill a human, but have no ill effects from them. Dogs can take aspirin that will kill a cat. Humans eat grapes, onions, and garlic, all three will kill dogs.
Just because it's safe for humans doesn't make it safe for fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store