Is my tank somehow cycled

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
I have a 20L set up just sitting with eco complete, a piece of driftwood and matten filter for quite a while, 2 weeks ago I put a small delhezi bichir in there and added some water from another tank temporarily until I could transfer media, well the bichir died next day, today I noticed a bit of bacteria on my driftwood so I tested for nitrate and I had around 40ppm. So did my tank just cycle basically on its own? It had maybe 3-4 bloodworms that were in there to try and get the bichir to eat but I'm assuming they broke down and started the cycle? I plan to get another bichir this weekend so is my tank ready for fish after a water change?

Tomt37

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2017
I'd still move a bit of cycled media in first .. why risk it if you have it to hand

xDestro

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2016
I didn't have time to move media at that moment, I went to a new pet store just to see what they had and when they had 1 delhezi left I took it, it didn't die from my water as soon as I added him he looked like his back was broke just by the way he swam. and sorry for late reply I was at work I'll test my water for ammonia and nitrites when I get a chance. Next time I'll just add media while I'm acclimating I'm just mainly wondering if I need to at this point

Tomt37

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2017
As there's no fish in it at the min you're not really testing it with just a few bloodworm .. so cycled media def way forward

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I would move media over add some ammonia to the tank and test again. I personally have lost a beloved fish because of moving it to a tank that wasn't fully cycled. It's better to be safe then sorry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store